Arethusa Falls

Just another beautiful day. I woke up and the birds were chirping the sun was shining. It was a good day to be alive. I hit the Subaru dealership for my oil change at 8am. Leaving there I was not please at the morning I had so I decided a hike would be in need. I chose to head to Arethusa Falls. Knowing that I wasn't going to have all day and I was pretty tired I knew it would be short and easy. I met a friend who wanted to join. 

We hit the trail sometime after 10:30am is my guess. I wasn't really watching the time. Starting hiking in. The trail was well maintained and very dry.


We came across 2 beautiful bridges and continued on. This hike was fairly easy. Also, very well maintained as I'm guessing they keep it that way for tourists to visit in the summer.



 In some sections it was like a stairway to heaven! Just the landscape around you was gorgeous. Shortly after hitting the trail junction for the cliffs we continued down .2 miles to the falls. Coming around a corner I felt a slight breeze and almost a mist across my face.




 Absolutely stunning. 200 feet of pure beauty. It's clearly spring and the water was continuously flowing over the top and bouncing off each rock. Here I sat and took a few photos and enjoyed the cool breeze and mist of he falls. Took a quick look at the map and re-traced my steps back the .2 miles to the trail junction. Here I connected to the cliffs junction that would lead me to Frankenstien Cliffs. I ran into some flowers starting to bloom down by my feet.


 If you have any idea what this flower is, please let me know. I am curious. I thought it was a green pepper at first! Kept on trekking until we came upon an open ledge on the cliff.



 This is where my BLT was devoured and my water was drank! The wind was slightly blowing but just enough to give a breeze that would cool you down. It was perfect temperature. No sweatshirt required, which is always nice!

After spending some time up on the ledge eating and taking photos we started our descent back towards the parking lot. We finally came upon the infamous North Conway Scenic Railroad tracks.


We crossed under the bridge as directed and continued to follow the trail. Walking past cliffs that would tower above us over 50 feet tall!


Shortly after passing the gigantic ledges that towered high above me, I stumbled upon a tree that looked like a cork screw. I had heard about woodpeckers putting holes in trees and this time, the woodpecker was taking the tree down!



 Absolutely incredible. I was amazed at how much work this little guy put into his creation. The beauty of a walk in the woods never seems to get old. Whether long or short, solo or in a group, old or new, the trails continually change. Some change for the better, others for the worse. Somehow in every step you take on the trail you seem to always carry out much less than what you carry in. This doesn't mean what is in your pack. This means your everyday crap that you just can't leave behind until you're on a path that you know will lead you to great adventure!

Keep on trekking..




Comments

  1. The flowers look like Red Trillium's . We hike this on 5/4 also. Great day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent