3 Peaks and 30 Bug Bites.

A friend and I jumped in the car at about 6:00am and headed across the Kanc. All packed up and ready to hit the trail around 7:30am. We were meeting Trish, Alex, and Sage. On the way we stopped for some breakfast at Dunkin Donuts. I sure do love my bagel and cream cheese before hitting the trail.

The sky was mostly cloudy when we had arrived at the Livermore Trail head. I quickly sprayed myself with bug spray and handed it off to my friend Nate. Trish and the girls pulled up next to us as we were getting out of the car. We through our packs over our shoulders and hit the trail by 7:45am. With this being my second time hiking the Tripyramids up the North Slide and down the South Slide, I knew what I was getting myself into. However, Nate had to knock these peaks off still for his 4k list. He had never hiked up the slides.

The hike in and out consist of a long walk on flat ground. You hike in about 2.6 miles until you come to the first junction where you end up when you hike out. Shortly after that you come to another junction where you begin your start into the North Slide.


Here is where we all stopped for a quick drink and snack and drop a layer. I remember from here up it starts off fairly gradual until you hit the rock slide and then it just gains vertical and lots of it within .8 of a mile. 

After a few tenths of a mile we finally enter into the Sandwich Range. 

We continue our trek onward. Patiently awaiting to get to the start of the bottom of the slide. Before I know it the dirt under my feet quickly turned to gravel, which then turned to large loose rocks. What started off as an easy road walk to a gradual incline then started to climb steeper as we continued. 
Alex climbing up the bottom of the North Slide
Anxiously awaiting to pop out of the trees. We continue climbing. I just remembered from last year when hiking this trail it opened up to a very wide slab of rock face. Where my hands and feet were always touching rock. At some points more sketchy than others. Also, I remember it being a beautiful day and the views that I had when I found a comfortable spot to stop and turn around.

View from the North Slide
Once on the slide, I have no idea what happened but all of a sudden the black flies had all of us surrounded. There was no stopping. I think we were all moving a lot faster than we would have if we weren't being attacked by all the bugs. Every minute I had I would keep reapply my bug spray hoping that it would start working any day now.. Still it did nothing. 

Before I knew it, I looked up and saw the large Cairn at the top of the slide before you enter back into the woods to head to the North Tripyramid summit.
Nate nearing the large Cairn at the top of the North Slide
We all took a quick 3 minute break? As much as we all wanted to sit and drink water and eat snacks.. It was almost impossible to do so without the extra protein added. If you know what I mean. We continued on quickly back into the trees. If you are moving at a decent pace the black flies can not keep up. I swear this is more like a mind game they play on you. We finally arrived to the North T. summit and we all stopped to take some photos. I am pretty sure the first thought through most of our minds was "Oh, the bugs aren't so bad up here." However, before the end of that thought they were swarming!
Nate & I on North Tripyramid
PACK UP! LETS GO! We all quickly got our feet moving again. I think the patience was wearing thing for us. I think we all just wanted to enjoy our lunches and snacks in peace. Off we went to Middle T. There is a nice little look off to the right. Here we all sat down and got to finally enjoy our yummy lunches that had been calling our names for the last hour or so. BUG FREE! Of course, it was too good to be true. After some times here eating and relaxing we packed up to continue our journey over to the South T. summit and down the South Slide.

Last year I remember the South Slide was more gravel and loose rock unlike the North. I also, remember slipping and actually falling on my butt and sliding a good couple feet before stopping. I am actually quite nervous on loose rock when going down. We finally arrived at the slide and as it opened up out of the trees, I was being attacked. Here is where I think I got the majority of my bites. I was trying to concentrate to my steps at the same time as swatting at the bugs. One flew into my ear, another in my mouth, and another up my nose. One bit my neck, 3 more on my right arm, 5 on my right leg, and many more... Needless to say, this was my first experience with black flies and I hope it will be my last.
Middle Tripyramid Summit 
I found myself getting so annoyed with the little buggers that i started moving pretty quickly and finding myself very impatient with just wanting to get down and out as quickly as possible. This is where I took quite the fall right into a bush. All is good. I survived my fall, got back up and continued down. Not even thinking about taking any photos because my mind was consumed in focusing on getting away from these obnoxious little critters.

Finally, we had reached the end of the slide and from here there was just under 2 miles until that first junction we would encounter. The hike out is very long flat and feels like it just drags on forever. We hit the junction, ahhh sighs of relief! We all stop and take a BUG LESS break. One of the few we actually had all day, because it was possible here. We all fueled up on food and water and after a few minutes continued the last 2.6 miles back out to the parking lot.
Trish, Sage, & Alex (from left to right)
Regardless of all the bugs, the day was still a beautiful day and a great day to be on the trail. Even after as much aggravation those small flies gave me, I am still happy my feet hit the trail that day.  All was made up for on the ride home when Nate made the suggestion of stopping for an ice cream. So, we stopped at a place called "Udderly Delicious" in Lincoln right before we hit the Kanc to head home. It was some great tasting ice cream I have ever had!


Hike Safe & Keep on Trekking...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent