Trail Running Liberty & Flume with Jim.

The title to this is incredibly appropriate for anyone who knows my friend Jim. He is incredibly tall and has the longest and strongest legs I have ever seen. However, as an avid hiker, I enjoy hiking with him because he loves it just as much. For anyone who has hiked with me or hikes with me on a regular basis knows, how much I dislike extremely steep sections, and know that I average about 2mph while hiking.

So, my morning started by waking up late. 8:00am late. I am typically an early start kind of hiker. This day, I woke up and quickly checked the weather and saw it wouldn't be until much later that the rain would be moving in. Knowing my skills and how fast I can hike, I asked Jim to come with me. I would have gone by myself to do this hike but something was telling me not to attempt the slide alone. That something was right!

I quickly packed up & jumped in the car to meet jim at the Liberty Springs trail head at 11:00am. I didn't have the greatest nights sleep that night nor did I eat enough before and during this hike.

We started up the trail, my little legs were moving so fast to keep up with Jim, I was practically running right up until we hit the first junction where you catch the Flume Slide Trail.

From here he told me it would be a pretty flat trek until we got to the bottom of the slide. It wasn't flat but it wasn't steep. I'd say a stead gradual 2 mile walk to the base of the slide. When we finally got to the bottom of the slide he tried to mentally prepare me for what I was about to get myself into. There isn't anything that could have done that. I had been told by several people how they thought the North Slide on the Tri's is much more difficult than the Flume Slide.

Let's just say, I've learned my lesson of listening to anyone anymore. Only I know my limits. Everyone has different types of trails they like and it may not be the same as me. So, not many know this about me but I have one fear while hiking. It is hiking on slides and fearing that I will slip fall and tumble all the way back down. HA, this was the one trail I fear the most. Wet, slippery, slabs of rock. So steep and tall in places that I had to use my arm strength instead of my legs. I have barely any upper body strength, so it was incredibly difficult. My arms were so sore by the time I reached the top.

Finally after my struggle up the Flume Slide trail, I finally reached the top of it where Jim waiting for me. Thanks Jim! :]


He shouted at me as I could barely breathe approaching him "you're crushing it." Thanks Jim, but i'm pretty sure this trail crushed me and how in shape I thought I was! Because the trail was so steep and slick and kicking my butt, I was to lazy to get the camera out and unfortunately didn't take any photos on the slide. Next time, now that I know what to expect.

.1 miles to the summit. Really? DAMN DAMN DAMN! I caught my breathe for a moment and said "Ok, lets go." We continued up towards the summit. We finally peaked out of the trees and onto this beautiful cliff. Jim hiking at the 3.0mph that he does continued ahead of me as I stopped to snap photos and breathe.


When I finally got to the summit, as tired as I was I was so excited. This was my first time out of 3 being on Franconia Ridge and actually having a view! I couldn't believe the view from up there. I had seen the view looking at Franconia from the bonds the week before, but this was just a beautiful.
Summit of Flume #32

We quickly ate and took a few more photos and quickly headed over to Liberty. We arrived on Liberty and it was just us until we were getting ready to head out. I took my photo at the summit and we packed up and started heading out because we could see the storms moving our way.

Summit of Liberty #33

Jim, AKA Daddy Long Legs.



We got down and back to the parking lot just as it started to drizzle a bit. Needless to say, I have never felt so out of shape hiking with Jim. However, I did enjoy another beautiful day on the mountain tops of New Hampshire!

Keep on Trekking.

Comments

  1. My wife and I did Flume and Liberty July 27th. It was a challenge getting up the Slide Trail. We haven't done the Tri's yet, how would you compare the two slides?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was told by many I had done the Tri's with that Flume slide was much easier- I would have to HIghly DISAGREE! North slide on the Tri's is much more gradual and doesn't feel nearly as long. On the flume slide, I was literally scared for my life in some section. It was extremely steep, and required lots of upper body strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading and looking at the Tri-slide, and was thinking the same as you just described. Flume slide was knarly! Good job though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done this same loop and found the Flume Slide Trail leading to the slide to be one of my favorites so far. I didn't find the slide bad, but it was slow going and you need to plan your route before you get there. That trail does hold the distinction of keeping my legs sore for the most number of days after a hike though.
    -Adam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent