For Better or Worse.

WOW! It's been a while. So long that I actually have much to tell! First, let me start by talking about my hiking since my last post. I haven't done much. I still have four 4k's left. Hopefully I can knock them off sooner rather than later. I have unfortunately been busy with working many jobs this winter. The Valley life never seems to grow old. Work hard to play harder!

It's been said many many times before. "Do what makes you happy." I have continuously done all things that make me happy for the last year. It's paying off.

As most of you already know I have been working at the Mount Washington Observatory for the last 2 years, as well as trying to peak bag all of my NH48 4000 footers. Things are changing for the better up at the OBS. With the new Museum project underway, come time for the summer season it will be quite the attraction sitting 6,288ft in the sky.

A few months ago a friend and I applied for a job as Backpacker Magazines Brand Ambassadors for the Get Out More for Woman Tour. This sounded perfect for the both of us to get out and explore the country while someone pays us to do so and talk about our experiences to people just like us. We applied, and we got it. So with some new beginnings ahead of me, I will be leaving the OBS. It is a bitter sweet thing. I will miss working on Mount Washington and getting to meet all the cool and interesting people. I will miss my co-workers, the unique life, the volunteers, and for sure the schedule.

OKAY, on to the next. So in the past few months the few things I have done, is what I will talk about in this blog today.

Back in November I got together with a few friends, Whitney, Denise, and Chris to head up Waumbek. I still need this peak for my 4k list and all of them were kind enough to tag along even though they had already knocked this one off. It was a great day on trail!




Shortly after that I had caught quite the cold. So my next hike out was suppose to be Whiteface and Passaconaway. I unfortunately could barely move so I had to bail. On my second day off I decided I couldn't sit in the house any longer feeling like crap and debated on a hike by myself. I woke up thinking I would just head up Kearsarge. I got dressed ended up in the car driving toward South Moat and found myself heading up the Kanc to Champney Falls to hike Chocorua.

I couldn't help myself considering it was a crystal clear day and I had never summited Chocorua. I headed up Champney Brook Trail and I started my day as the only car in the parking lot.









It was my first time up Chocurua and certainly wont be my last. It was a very enjoyable jaunt to the summit. Little work for great pay off.

My next adventure lead me to the mountains in Evans Notch. Evans notch has been a favorite hiking spot of mine since my beginner days. It's beautiful and very secluded I feel like. It had been quite some time since my last hike and I was desperately craving the feeling of hiking boots on my feet and a pack on my back. Josh and I decided instead of skiing to take a hike up to the Baldfaces. Since we only had limited time, and I hadn't been out much this winter, we decided on sticking to just South Baldface.

We hit the trail around 8:20am with temperatures at 1*F. Boy was it cold. With nothing more than microspikes we headed up the trail. We decided to skip the ledges and go the longer and more gradual way.



Finally reaching the bald sections of the mountain with beautiful views and temps rising to near 25F. A tad bit windy, but still enjoyable.






This winter has been full of time spent indoors. Part of living the "Valley Life" as most call is up here, is that you work hard in the winter, to play all summer. Which, I can't say I hate. The places I work all winter give great benefits such as free ski passes to all resorts, rental equipment for free, as well as just working in the industry of being outdoors. I have no complaints what so ever of how my winter has been. With that being said, I have wanted to learn how to Ice Climb for 2 years now. I finally with the benefits of my job, got to take a class. So, a co-worker and I got together with another co-worker who is a Guide in the climbing school and went out for the day.






I had such a great time out there. It was a bit cold, the ice was very brittle, I finally felt what the "Screaming Barfies" are, and learned a ton. Keith Sidle was our Guide for the day. Even though knowing him personally as a friend, he was very professional and taught me a lot. I have never rock climbed before, so just some terms and stuff most rock climbers would know going into it, he taught me. I had no idea how to belay someone, or rappel down, and Keith was patient and very encouraging, and when I hit tough spots and wasn't so sure I'd make it to the top. He took us to Cathedral Ledge and he took us to the North End and we climbed the Slab and my first multi pitch, Thresher.

Overall, yes, I haven't been hitting the trails. However, my journey hasn't stopped. With all of the above I have added to the list Back Country Skiing to the list. I put AT ski's on for the first time a couple weeks ago and skinned up Evans Notch and skied back out, I have flown out to Utah for the Outdoor Retailer show for Backpacker Magazine, hit the slopes for a day of downhill skiing, and not to mention, I put my feet in a pair of cross country skis for the first time as well.

Even though the hiking has slowed down, I have not. To fully understand the joy of life you can not let yourself believe it's only one thing that keeps you happy. There are too many things in life that most people miss out on. Don't let life get in the way!

Keep on Trekking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent