Search and Rescue Promotion

“IF YOU ARE WILLING TO DO MORE THAN YOU ARE PAID TO DO, EVENTUALLY YOU WILL BE PAID TO DO MORE THAN YOU DO.”

In 2011 I was living in Boston and looking for something new. A change of pace, a different job, a new lifestyle. I really started to enjoy hiking and hiking solo. I was looking for some way out of the life I was currently living.

One day I was in Eastern Mountain Sports where I picked up the book Not Without Peril. I started to read it and enjoy every story, chapter by chapter. I was sucked into this life of a rescuer saving lives in the Mountains of New Hampshire. I suddenly realized, that is what I wanted to do with my life. I wanted to help save the lives and lessen the suffering of those in the wilderness enjoying the same sort of adventures I was starting to enjoy.

I badly wanted to teach and educate others on how to be prepared for a worst case scenario. I applied to NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) and I also applied for a job at the Mount Washington Observatory. I shortly heard back from the Observatory and I was hired the same day as my interview.

After working on the Summit of Mount Washington for about a month, I learned of the state park manager who gave me an application for the Adroscroggin Valley Search and Rescue Team. I filled it out emailed it back to him and he told me to just show up at the Annual Meeting in October.

I did exactly that. I made plans with 2 other new members to have my "Shake Down Hike". This was to be accepted onto the team as someone who would be capable of what they would need in a new team member. Working on a team of rescuers, it is not just about going on a hike. There is many more moving parts to being on a rescue, recovery, or hasty search.

My first call came in and was called in as a rescue. I checked in at the parking lot and was asked if I would be okay on a recovery. I responded with yes, having absolutely no idea what I was going to experience.

It's now been 4 years and I am going onto my 5th season volunteering for AVSAR. I have been on a variety of different carry-outs, recoveries, and hasty searches. I have participated in many trainings and have learned so much about myself as a volunteer and about others in how they respond to us as rescuers.

This past spring was one of the busiest springs in the 4 years Ive been volunteering and my schedule finally allowed me to participate quite a bit in rescues. October 20th was our Annual Meeting, that I was looking forward too. At our meeting there were 3 board members who had done their 3 year term and were ready to step down from their positions on the board. This meant there would be 3 NEW members to take on those roles and responsibilities. Myself and another who was on my shake down hike with me were elected and voted in to sit on the board for the next three years.

I was absolutely thrilled to hear this and look forward to my new duties ahead with AVSAR. I am now sitting on the Board as Secretary and couldn't be more proud of the hard work and dedication that my team shows to each other and the compassion we all have to help save lives everyday!

AVSAR is a private, non-profit, 501-c-3 organization. While centered in the Gorham-Randolph area, its members reside in all corners of the White Mountain region, and respond to authorities' requests for assistance throughout the area.
If interested in making an in-kind donation to help support the team click on DONATE NOW.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent