Solo Bonds- Zealand Traverse


“Always believe in yourself and always stretch yourself beyond your limits. Your life is worth a lot more than you think because you are capable of accomplishing more than you know. You have more potential than you think, but you will never know your full potential unless you keep challenging yourself and pushing beyond your own self imposed limits.”


A friend reached out and asked if I would be willing to car spot him. I agreed I would. Originally, it was to spot him on a Kilkenny Traverse. He last minute changed his plans and decided to go for a Kate Sleeper run. When he changed his plans, I thought this could be an awesome opportunity for me to try to set a PR on a solo Bonds/Zealand Traverse.

I had been feeling anxious from not hiking in a few days since gridding out August, so I was due. I also had two goals in mind to complete before my 33rd Birthday. A solo Bonds-Z traverse and a solo Pemi Loop.

The weather was looking to be gorgeous. perfect temps and clear skies! I asked Jared if he would spot me at the end when he was done with his hike and he said absolutely. We both had planned to get together after his hike for a Birthday Beer anyways.


I met Jared at 7:00am at Oliverian Brook trailhead then dropped him off at Pine bend where he would start his hike. I then drove the 20 minutes or so to Lincoln Woods Trailhead where I quickly used the bathroom and hit the trail.

I jogged the entire 6 miles into Bondcliff trail in hopes I would make up some time so he wasn't waiting at the end for my finish forever. I was feeling exceptionally good considering my back injury. Once making it to Bondcliff trail I decided here is where I would continue a steady hiking pace to the top of Bondcliff. Making it to the first summit in just 2:45. I was shocked at how fast I did that first 9 miles!

I ate a quick snack, snapped a few photos and video, and kept walking towards what I always know as the hardest part of this hike, the climb up Mount Bond. The climb from this side always feels relentless from this direction. I took my time, my legs were certainly starting to feel it now, and my stomach was starting to feel woozy. I knew I needed a good refuel once I made it to the top of Mount Bond.

Making it to the summit of Bond, I sat down for a minute and drank some lemonade. Started to feel a tad bit better so I kept moving. Updating jared on my timing and location throughout the day. I put my headphones back in and hauled down to West Bond. I ran almost all of west Bond spur making it to the top where I sat for a good 10 minutes. Here I ate a good snack, drank more lemonade and water. The black flies were horrible on this peak. I have no idea how they are even still out? But they were biting me. So I decided it was time to keep moving. Onto Guyot and my final peak of the day, Zealand. I was roughly halfway through my hike for the day and cruising!

I moved pretty quickly downhill after Guyot and after Zealand. Making up stellar time. However, I thought for sure Jared was going to beat me to the parking lot. The last mile to Zeacliff I was feeling such a high, I just wanted to keep running so I did. At one point with my headphones on I yelled out "F*ck Yeah!" to turn the corner and see a couple standing there. Clearly I was excited for how good I was feeling.

     

Once back at the hut, I refilled my water which was almost on empty, but only enough to last me the last 2.8 miles back to the parking lot. Then as soon as I hit the flats, I ran the rest of the way out.

As soon as I hit the final stretch I passed quite a few hikers walking in and walking out at full speed ahead. Hitting the parking lot at exactly 6 hours and 37 minutes total time. Moving time was 5 hours and 30 minutes.

I sat down on the bench when I saw Jared had not made it yet, took my shoes off and took a quick nap. Feeling so proud of myself. My back was a tad bit sore, but I knew I had just crushed some serious miles under my feet. 18.5 miles later, I had never felt so good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent