A Beautiful Day in the Pemi.

Start Time: 6:00am
Location: Lincoln Woods Trail Head
Distance: 19.1 miles
Goal: Bag Bondcliff, Bond, West Bond, Guyout, and Zealand
End Time: 3:54pm

Finally the weather had been cooperating the way I had hoped for. I knew the day would come when I would eventually take the beautiful trek that is into the Bonds. Today was the day! I'd say a vast majority of hikers who are in the process of completing their 48, will most likely if not already, finish on the Bonds.

I felt differently towards that. I didn't want to wait for my very last hike to be super long and the most popular. Not even the most beautiful. Sometimes you must learn to take the good with the bad.

We arrived at the parking lot of Lincoln Woods Trail head just before 6:00am. We had planned to hit the trail at 6 and give ourselves roughly 13 hours to complete this trek. Knowing it is just as long as a presi traverse and pretty close to the same elevation gain, I felt that was fair.
Getting ready to hit the trail.
It was a little chilly to start. Around 60 degrees. It ended up being just perfect temperature. All geared up and ready to roll we hit the trail.
The start of a great day!
Roughly about 3 miles in on the Lincoln Brook Trail you then enter the Pemigewasswet Wilderness! Here is where the start of the true trek begins. The first 3miles on LBT are long and very flat. To a point where even though I had plenty of sleep the night before, this trail was actually boring me to pieces. It's beautiful yes, however, it just was not at all exciting to me being on it for the second time around.

Shortly after crossing the bridge after Franconia Falls, there was a sign for Bondcliff Trail. We turned right onto this trail and continued for the next 1.8 miles. Here is were we all decided to take a stop for food and hydrate up before another long journey to the top.
Without laughter, life is too serious.
I quickly went to the bathroom & grabbed some snacks. My snacks at this particular stop included. Cheese & Crackers. Packed up my bag and threw it back on my back and hit the trail once more. This time while heading up we had 4.4 miles until hitting the summit of Bondcliff. This 4.4 became much more interesting to me and went by much faster than the first 4 miles. I enjoyed the beauty of my surroundings. The trail was narrow, yet very peaceful. The stream to my right, then to my left, rushing to the bottom. 

Before I knew it we had stumbled upon a steep section of the trail. I knew I was in for it eventually. Here it was. I took my sweet time as a I huffed and puffed my way up. I most likely made a few inappropriate comments or curse words as well. But hey! It's all in fun!

I always do come out with a smile. No matter how hard it is for me, I keep on trekking. We crossed one last stream crossing which was beautifully built. Up we went to start our final ascent of gradual switch backs and a few smaller steep sections.


It's Bondcliff Jr. Who would have thought! As I approached the top of this mini climb out of the trees, I very loudly said "Oh my god!" It's was unlike any view I had ever seen in the Whites. And I wasn't even on the summit! EVEN BETTER! As I said that, 2 hikers heading out to lincoln woods laughed & mentioned that it would be that way for the rest of my hike! Thank you guys, you were absolutely right.  I sure do love to meet people on trail who are enjoying it as much as I do. I quickly took some photos.

Out of the trees we were finally. Approaching the summit of Bondcliff, I was excited. Way more excited than a kid in a candy store. I very badly could not wait to get my INFAMOUS photo up there!

Me on Bondcliff
After the the photo shoot we all were pretty hungry. My stomach was pretty much eating itself by this time. We all gathered on top of the cliff and ate our lunches! Peanut butter and fluff never tasted so good. Even though I tried using a new type of bread some 100 calorie flat bread, that had small holes in it and the fluff pretty much melted right through. My lunch was nothing more than peanut butter sandwhich. It still tasted oh so delicious. 

Looking ahead to our next destination. Bond. 1.2 miles across the ridge and up to the summit. It did look a tad bit daunting from Bondcliff.
With the loss of some of the vertical gain we did for Bondcliff, there was more to be earned on Bond. Up we went. This section of the trail was the hardest of the entire 19 miles. As all 3 of us agreed. There was some larger boulders similar to what you will find in the Presidential Range. It was hot in the few shrubs we trekked through, and here is probably where I perspired the most all day. Alas, we arrived at the summit of Bond. With a somewhat bald peak, there was still plenty of views to be had. Here we met a man and a woman who were enjoying their snacks. We chit chatted for a big and then took a quick photo and continued towards West Bond.
Looking south towards Bondcliff
Summit of Bond
On Bond with Bondcliff in the background
1mile until the summit of West Bond. Here is where I would complete my 30th peak of the 4000 footer list! About a tenth of the mile off Bond I started to feel emotion running through me. I suddenly felt and incredible burst of excitement and accomplishment! I went into this hike not getting any hopes of making it. Anything can happen on trail. So when it was that close, I knew I had it in the bag! I started moving really fast down trail and pushed really hard on the final small incline before the summit! There it was! One of the best moments of my life. I finally had 30 peaks under my feet, with only 18 more to go. Also, with one more being knocked off on this traverse. So I would finish with 31 peaks under my feet and 17 left to go.
#30 West Bond
We quickly stopped here to refuel. I checked out the map to see what was up next before our trek over to Zealand. With our last vertical gain of the day being Guyot, it was pretty much all downhill from here. From a distance the vertical gain from West Bond to Guyot seemed to look like much more than what it actually was. We hit the trail headed back towards Bondcliff Trail where we would soon meet Twinway. This was a very gradual steady climb to Guyot and then pretty much a flat beautiful walk through the woods before hitting the junction of Zealand.


Here it was. We finally arrived to the last summit of the day. Zealand. I had heard and read many stories on this Peak. None of which seem to be a peak many enjoyed. Now I understand why. It was incredibly small and nothing to see but woods. Well, after looking at woods for the last so many miles to get there. It was MEH. Just MEH. Not to mention the group of about 12 on this tiny summit packing up there multi day packs getting ready to head out. Which lead me to believe they had camped on this summit. Also, the group of them were extremely loud, loud enough as to where you could here them from the trail off of the summit. It's only a tenth of a mile, but still, that is still pretty loud. When we arrived on summit as stated above, it was barely enough room for me to take 2 photos and to breathe. It was crowded and loud. So I bagged it and left as quickly as I arrived.



Nearing the end of the trek we still had 5.6 miles to go before our butts hit the seat of the car waiting for us in the parking lot. The trail again was a gradual trek through the woods until we hit the lower section of Twinway before the Hut. However, there was some beautiful photo opportunities still. With the trail changing between planks and latter's it was starting to get really interesting. It always makes me have such appreciation for the trail crews who work so hard. Thanks guys!




Arriving at the Zealand Hut, it was crowded. The most crowded I have ever seen a hut. The Croo was outside playing the guitar, banjo, and singing. It was great! Made for a great place to stop eat a little bit more before heading out to our final descent of the day. 2.3 miles to go. This was the first time I had actually taken my boots off while I ate. I had rocks in them so I really had no choice. I have to admit, taking my boots off for the 20 minutes we sat there, may have been the best choice I have ever made on any traverse. It really helped me the last 2.3 miles out to the car.
The last couple miles out, were the best couple miles I have ever hiked. After 17 miles, the last thing I want to do is go down big boulders or even have to think about every step I make. The Zealand Trail, was flat and for the most part gravel. No large rocks to hop from, no staring down at your feet the entire time, just a walk in the park for me. Beautiful ponds and bridges to cross over made for a very enjoyable hike out.

There it was, the parking lot. Always feels so good to see your car again!

Eevry trek through the woods is always a different one. Even on the same trail. The colors, the landscape, the beauty of what is in front of you. The absolute beauty of nature and what it has to offer. These are things we miss in our lives every single day. We look past the simple things and look toward the most complicated. Who needs a car when you have feet? Who needs bottled water when you have rivers and streams? Who needs a million dollar house when you can build a shelter? 

Of course not everyone is fit for a simple lifestyle. Hey, even I love having my Iphone and MacBook when I get home. However, the reality is that when I am on trail, I find the appreciation for all that is lost in my daily life. All the small and simple things that go under appreciated.

Keep on trekking.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent