Only one way down.

As most of you already know, I work on the tallest peak in the North East. Mount Washington. Yes, I live up there for one week at a time while I am working, then I head down to my valley home for a week off. This week I decided with such a beautiful day to hike down and out on my last day of work.

Yes, I would consider myself incredibly lucky. As most of you reading this would as well.

I am not really red lining, however it is one of my many goal to hike all trails to the summit of Mount Washington. With that being said, I have done:

Lion Head (winter & summer)
Tuckerman Ravine Trail
Ammonusac Ravine Trail
Jewel Trail
Gulfside Trail
West Side Trail
Trinity Heights Connector
Nelson Crag Trail (part of)
Crawford Path

So this time around, a friend mentioned he would be hiking up the Glen Boulder Trail that afternoon and down Boot Spur. This was my opportunity to tag along after work and hike down Boot Spur since I had never hiked this trail before.

9:45am arrived in my Museum and my relief had arrived. I through my pack on grabbed an OBS radio and hit Tuckerman Ravine Trail. Just as I was walking out the door the fog rolled in.


 


I quickly headed down the trail with hopes of getting some great views of the ravine. Also, with a chance of T-storms rolling through, the last thing I wanted was to be stuck above treeline. I went all the way down until I hit the Junction at the top of Tucks Headwall. Here is where I connected to the Lawn Cut Off. Mind you, this was a beautiful trail. It literally feels as though you are walking through someones back yard. The flowers were gorgeous and the sedge was a beautiful green.

Junction of Tuckerman Headwall.

Across the Lawn I trekked. I was just under the fog and the 25mph breeze felt incredibly good on my body. The sun was burning right through the clouds above and I could feel the heat. I headed up and over to the Boot Spur trail where I then continued on to the junction of Davis Path and Glen Boulder.

Here is where I continued on the Davis Path. I continued down the Davis Path .5 miles until I got to the junction of the Glen Boulder Trail. Here is where I was suppose to meet my friend. However, since I was going down and he was coming up I got there a lot quicker than I thought I would.

I arrived at the junction within minutes and stopped took a look around and took in the beauty of the day and my surroundings. The thoughts poured through my mind of countless reasons reminding me why I enjoy hiking so much. As much as I dislike the idea of hiking alone, this hike made me realize how much I really do enjoy hiking alone when I am. I don't have to think about anyone else but myself. I fill my thoughts with the joys of life and how fortunate I am to have what I have, to get to do and enjoy the things I do everyday. I find myself thinking about the joy of simplicity much more on trail than I do off trail. 

After, a few minutes I decided, screw it.. He isn't here yet and I have never hiked Glen Boulder trail either.. So I decided I would trek downward until I ran into him. I am glad I did. It was one of the most gorgeous hiking trails I have ever hiked in the whites. At least the section I hiked. I started down a very gradual steady trail and as the trail turned back and forth I spotted this one BRIGHT and LONELY Mushroom.

I quickly descended this trail into the trees and back out again. It was warm in the trees where the wind could not touch you and buggy, so I quickly made my way through these sections. Before I knew it I was standing on the edge of the trail and looking back towards where I just came from. Absolutely breath taking. I have never seen green like I saw this day.

Boot Spur from Glen Boulder trail.
Here is where there was a large Cairn and lots of space to take a break and relax. This was it before it went down into the trees and over to "Glen Boulder". I decided I would wait here for a few minutes and eat something. I plopped myself on the edge of the mountain where there was a rock, took out my chocolate chips and raisins and quietly enjoyed my surroundings. It was the most quiet I have also experienced on trail as well. Not a soul in sight, not a sound to be heard.


Shortly after, I decided why not go check out Glen Boulder if I could. I packed up my stuff, and hit the trail once more. This time when I started down it quickly descended into trees about 7 feet tall. As I slowly walked through them I thought to myself "maybe I should take out my whistle and make some noise just in case someone or something comes around a corner." I didn't want to scare them nor did I want to be scared. I blew my whistle lightly the first time, and heard nothing. I blew my whistle the second time and then I heard "hello!" At the same moment I looked up and I scared myself anyways. There was Nate. We both chuckled a bit, me more so than him because I had just scared myself and found it quite embarrassing. 

We stopped for a moment to catch up and started back up the trail. Needless to say, I never made it to Glen Boulder. Another time. Back to the spot where I had just stopped for a bite.


A few photos to capture the essence of beauty and back up to Boot Spur we went. We hit the junction of Boot Spur and started our final decent, or at least mine. Since I had gone down up and back down again. Shortly after the first steep section we stopped and rock hopped to the edge where there was a perfect section of boulder to sit on with a great view right into Tucks and great perspective of Hillmans Highway. Nate enjoyed his lunch while I enjoyed the views around me.

Hermit Lake Shelter

Hillmans Highway (Ski Route)
Off we went. Descending to the next junction ahead. Boot Spur Link. We passed by and continued on. There were about 3 lookouts on this trail, all of which were so pretty. Worth stopping to take a look if you end up hiking this trail. The trail descended very gradually with a few steep section but nothing drastic. The view you have of the trails heading up the summit cone of Mount Washington, look as if they are straight up and very steep, however they aren't as bad as it seems from this side of the mountain. Also, got to enjoy some awesome cloud formations. Especially Lenticular Clouds.
Center of Photo (Lenticular Clouds)
Finally, nearing the last 3/4 of a mile we came upon one of my favorite things in the Whites. A ladder! I love ladders on trails. I have no idea why, it just makes for a fun time. 


Shortly after this section, the trail meets with the Sherbourne Ski Trail. Which is not nearly as impressive as it looks in the winter time.

Sherbourne Ski Trail
And after crossing that, we pop out on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail. Just a short distance back to the car and Air Conditioner. Boy do I love AC after a long, hot hike. Loaded up & headed back to the trail head of the Glen Boulder Trail where Nate was parked. Parked with a small cooler of Ice Cold After Hike Adult beverages.MMM! Couldn't have asked for a better way to spend my day.

Keep on trekking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent