Wildcat A Winter Ascent


" The only order in the universe is just a cycle of calm and chaos."

Ricky Bobby and I set out around 5:45am to meet a friend for a hike. I texted him yesterday asking to hike Wildcat A. He is working on his first round of the 48 while if I have the chance I will be trying to knock off most of my winter peaks I have left. We both agreed on an early start. Starting time for 6:00am.

Starting early is my preferred way to hike on a busy Saturday before a storm moves through that afternoon. I get to avoid busy parking lots, many people coming and going on trail, less noise, and much more solitude.

I suggested this peak knowing it was a fun one to hike and one that could offer good views but if not it's still beautiful to witness these beautiful lakes in the midst of this notch and mountains towering all around it.

We met int he parking lot just before 6:00am where we both gather our stuff together, put on our microspikes and hit the trail. We let both dogs off leash to run wild and we paced ourselves with headlamps looking down at our feet.

Before I knew it we were already a mile in, the sun was just starting to rise and starting to give us a beautiful pinkish tint in the sky. We passed by the dam on our left, chatted for a while and then before I knew it we were at the first junction. 

We continued on towards Carter Notch Hut. As we started to approach the steep section towards the end of this trail we came across an abandon sled with lots and lots of overnight gear, including a 30 rack of Budweiser. The dogs were sniffing it and as I looked up, I jumped out of my boots in fear it was a body laying on the ground. I thought I had just found my first dead person on trail. EEEEEK! 

Turns out it wasn't thankfully. We were both baffled as to why someone would just leave all there stuff there. I continued to run through scenarios in my brain, over and over again. Finally both coming to the conclusion it was likely the 2 hikers just ahead of us with very large overnight packs left it there to come back once they dropped their other gear off. This would make absolute sense that it would be less they would have to carry and drag up that steep section to get to the hut.

We worked our way up to the junction for the hut and the trail to our summit. Cam had never been to the hut and seen the lakes so we took a quick jaunt down to the hut. The lakes were frozen over and we walked across one. I slowly admired the beauty all around me. Tree tops were covers in a shiny white rime, the clouds moving over us, looking up at the cliff face of Wildcat A, and the beautiful gray tone all around me. It was such a wonderful sight to see.

Once we were done we headed back towards our junction and here I through on my snowshoes knowing how steep it would be and wanting to use them for the heel lift to reduce calf burnout and slipping in spikes.

Shorty after we started up this trail we noticed several tracks leading in many different directions. We followed one path we thought was the trail due to how well packed out it was which lead to a dead end and no trail blazes. So we back tracked to the last blaze I spotted and finally found the actual trail. When we came back down we did mark off with branches, the trail not to follow.


Slow and steady we made our way further up this steep trail and topping out to the ridge. Soon enough we had made it to the summit! Stoked as usual. Ricky and myself knocked off this peak for our winter list, Cam for his first round 48!

Wildcat A Summit
We both took out our thermos' with warm beverages and exchanged what we had brought. The pup got special treats that Cam brought- Hot Dogs and Bacon! Ricky was in all his glory about this.

We shortly packed up our stuff and headed down.

Once back at the junction for the hut we made some quick gear adjustments and went on our merry way back to the cars. Completing our hike by 10:30am.

Overall, it was another great day spent with great company in the mountains.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent