Kearsarge North Mountain

I have 3 days before I jet set to Arizona. While I am out there I will be doing some hiking in the Grand Canyon and I will be attempting to summit the highest point in the state, Humphrey's Peak (12,633). This will be the highest elevation I have ever hiked in and am looking forward to seeing the difference.

Meanwhile, in preparation for my hiking in the hot desert sun & cool temps and Mount Washington like conditions on Humphrey s Peak, I figured I should do some hiking before I leave since it's been about a month since my last hike. What a perfect weekend to get out.

Since my day pack is mostly packed away in my suitcase ready for take off; I had to pack up my multi-day pack. A little heavier but much more comfortable, so the weight doesn't bother me one bit. Being that the temperatures decided to drop significantly over the weekend I picked Sunday to be the best day to hike. I decided Kearsarge North Mountain(3,268ft) would be a good place to start.

Sunday morning came; the sun was shining in my bedroom window screaming for me to wake up & get ready to go. I made some breakfast and hit the road. Living only a couple minutes down from the trail head it was nice to start my day at 11:00am. When I had arrived at the trail head the parking lot was full and cars were starting to park along the street. And so it begins. Spring has Sprung. Folks in the Valley are dying to get out and just hike small stuff.. But, little did they know what the higher summits would still have waiting for them.


So my journey began. I started up the trail to find it was incredibly dry with a few minor spots of mud that were easily avoidable. The trail start off very flat and gradual. No real rocks to step on or across. I crossed one stream which I wouldn't even call a stream that was more than manageable. As I continued about a mile in I saw the first sign of snow and ice. Just a few small patches here and there. Just to be safe I brought along my microspikes remembering that even when it's nice in the valley and it's spring here in North Conway; it's still winter conditions in the higher summits. Boy was that a smart idea. Passed one hiker as I came out to the first clearing of bald rock with minimal views but still pretty. In passing he mentioned there was a "wall" of slick ice and asked if I had brought traction. I said yes and continued on. Only to come to a point where it went from patches of snow to well packed deep snow on the trail.

Shortly after all the snow, I found the "WALL of ICE" this other hiker had warned me about. It reminded me of something you would see climbing up Lion Head Winter Route on Mount Washington in the winter. Extremely steep a few trees to grab hold of. I even almost wished I brought crampons for this. However with the help of part of a rock that had been uncovered and 2 tree branches in just the right locations and very careful stepping and concentration it was manageable.



Spikes or some form of traction were definitely required for the rest of the trek up and onward to the summit. It's was a beautiful day with perfect temperatures. I was able to only wear my long sleeve under armor shirt and my thinnest pair of hiking pants and still be comfortable. The higher you got in elevation the softer the snow was as well. Before I knew it, the trail came to a steep section and just around that corner you open up to this beautiful bald summit with a beautiful fire tower.





As I walked closer I went to an open empty area and dropped my pack. I had dropped it right where I wanted it without even knowing. Right by the Survey Marker.

I don't usually think about finding these and taking photos of them, however, I was having a conversation about them with a friend and so it just seemed odd that I would pick the spot with it right there. I wonder about these Survey Markers. Are they on all or most of the summits? Who decides where they go and what Mountains to put them on. They are very neat little things.


After checking out the Fire tower and taking some views and signing the guest book that is up there. I decided to have some fun. I attempted a headstand yoga pose. In the mud mind you :]



Since I started late; I pretty much got to enjoy the peace and quiet of having the summit all to myself with a few exception of 2 men who had shown up for a short period of time and left. One of whom, I had a great conversation with. Him and his dog had made it up in just about an hour. He mentioned he was training for an ultra marathon. He was a local as well, and his dog was really nice.

After staying up there for almost an hour just roasting in the sun it was time to pack up and head back down.

3.1 back to my car. As I hiked down, I passed many young souls braving the treacherous conditions in nothing but sneakers. I really was hoping they would turn around and be smart about it. But, I'm doubting they did considering the confidence they had when many had mentioned to them that it would be a good idea to not push further unless you have traction. Well, I didn't get a phone call for any carry outs on Kearsarge last night so, I assume all went well and they had a wonderful time at the summit as well.This was another beautiful hike. Not a 4k'er but, sometimes I like to get out and enjoy what other smaller mountains have to offer and boy, this one was well worth the trip.

Next trip; Arizona here I come... 3 more days!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent