Know Before You Go

Whenever I am thinking about setting off for a hike I have many lists of things I MUST do before actually hitting the trail. Most of them are done the night before and the morning of. Some of the most deadly and dangerous situations happen on the trail because of the lack of knowledge that people have before they take their first step onto the trail.

I can be incredibly cautious when it comes to hiking in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Simply because accidents happen & unfortunately so does stupidity.

My first hike I had done just over 2 years ago (March 28, 2011). It was to the top of Mount Monadnock
(3,166') in Jaffrey, New Hampshire. Which, if I do recall correctly is claimed to be the second-most frequently climbed mountain in the world.

I brought with me a paper printed map I found online, with a trail set in mind. The White Dot Trail.


A back pack with little food and I believe one water bottle. With that being said.. take a guess at what I wore that day. I am almost ashamed to even admit this. But hey, I'm sure I'm not the only one who started out with out a clue.



So what did I wear... I wore an under armor long sleeve shirt, winter boots you would wear playing in the snow in your back yard with very little traction, jeans, and a heavy winter jacket.



We lucked out with a gorgeous day and not a ton of snow on the ground. However, JEANS?? I cringe now on the trail when I see others in jeans or yoga pants. Is that so wrong? I once was that person. Luckily I made it to the top with no problems. It was incredibly windy at the summit.. from doing research it was roughly blowing at about 45mph that day.

With all that being said, my planning begins roughly minimum of 3 days prior to the hike and looks something like this.

1.Choosing a Mountain, trail, and day to hike.
2.Check weather conditions that day. I use NOAA & Higher Summits MWOBS (higher summits forecast)
3.Look at the map & familiarize myself with trails, distances, junctions, huts, contour lines etc.
3.Check out trail conditions how they have been and how they are. I find my information by checking out Newenglandtrailconditions.com & MW AVALANCHE CENTER
4.Sleep on it.

I will spend most of my time looking at the map before I go. I am a firm believer that you should always carry a map just in case you absolutely need it. I don't think anyone should need to use their map unless you are either nervous about your location or the trail is not well marked. The moment your feet hit the trail you should have a good idea in your head as to where you are going and what trails you will be taking & about the distance it will be until your next stop. I very rarely use my map. But, it is of utmost importance to bring one with you.

The night before is when I put my mind into action. Thinking about all possibilities throughout the day of my hike. Some questions I ask myself while planning.

How long will this hike take?
What time should I arrive at the trail head and on trail?
Will it be plenty of time to get in and out with daylight still?
How much food and water should I bring?
What gear should I bring?
What kind of food should I bring?
Will the food I bring freeze or melt?
Should I bring just warm water or should I boil my water?


Those are just some of the most simple of questions I ask myself every time I am planning for a hike.

Last but not least, you may have all your gear ready to go and you're all packed up.. The final moments before I leave my house is key. CHECK THE WEATHER & CONDITIONS ONE LAST TIME! Any one who lives in New England knows why.. Because, here the weather can change within minutes... and change drastically. In the mountains, it may be a beautiful warm sunny day in the forecast from yesterday, but today could be chances of thunderstorms, high winds, and white-out conditions.
 

 Once I see that the weather conditions meet my standards, I pack up the car and hit the road. Onto the next adventure.

Happy Trekking :]

Comments

  1. "There is absolutely nothing wrong with yogapants!" - All men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Bigsteez, haha except when they are made of 100% cotton and you're sweating and then that sweat freezes and you die of hypothermia. :] -All Hikers.

      Delete
  2. Yogapants aren't made of cotton. They're made of magic and unicorn hair. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Samantha,

    TrailsNH started following your blog today. We follow every hiking forum and blog in the northeast. VFTT and NewEnglandTrailConditions were first, but your blog bring us up to 118 sites in total.

    TrailsNH indexes every trip report, snow report, forest road closing, every trail advisory, and the avalanche advisories as well.

    One more tool to help us plan our next hike: TrailsNH.com
    -Kimball

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent