Isolation, 3rd time is a charm!

I have attempted Isolation twice before this one. First time almost a year ago, it was fall and the ground was a bit wet and leaves had fallen off the trees and covered the trails. It was a last minute decision that morning to hike Isolation when out attempt at the Carter Moriah Traverse failed. We headed up Rocky Branch Trail form Route 16, about 4 miles in we were turned around when we heard the loud noise of breaking branches. Second time around was a few months after the first attempt in the winter. Figuring it would be much easier in the winter and not nearly as swampy. It was, right up until the trail just stopped. Rocky Branch in the winter is not used after a certain point because most others will take the Engine Hill Bushwhack. I knew little about it, and saw a gentleman who seemed to know what he was doing, and he most certainly did. So, I decided to follow him and his foot steps bushwhacking for a few good miles before we met again and he was headed in the direction we just came from. He explained he was just exploring the woods a little and took us to the First crossing. Here is where we decided to just call it quits.

The plan for the 3rd attempt:

Up Glen Boulder, to the Davis Path, Summit Isolation, Continue on the Davis Path, Summit Mount Davis, Stairs Mountain, and out Rocky Branch Trail to Jericho Road. 15.5 Miles it would take us to complete.

We started a tad bit later than we wanted to, but we spotted a car at Jericho Road and then headed towards the start of Glen Boulder. This trail quickly gets steep, and steeper, and then breaks through the trees to gorgeous views.


There is one sections right before breaking out completely that is real rock scrambling on slabs of rock. Once above that you can see the infamous Glen Boulder. It looks tiny from afar but I assure you, you will be amazed when you get to it. I could not believe how it was still sitting in the spot it's been for many many years.



With high hopes the clouds would lift for us to have great views from Isolation we sat for a moment to eat a quick snack and take some photos. I of course had to have the wonderful photo most have, me attempting to push the damn rock off the side of the mountain. Not likely.

Shortly after we started to continue upward some more scrambling and up and over a bulge before a flat somewhat easy walk to the Davis Path junction.













Down the Davis Path we went. Headed towards our destination. I was trying very hard not to get my hopes too high in case my 3rd attempt ended in failure again. This section of the Davis Path was actually really beautiful. We finally arrived at Isolation where I became incredibly excited to have made it.



After eating 2 PB & Fluff sandwiches I finally felts ready for the next Summit approach and then the long haul out. Within 2 miles we made it to Mount Davis. Neither one of us had ever been there before and I have to admit, that summit was much more beautiful than Isolation. There was no one there and we had 360 degree views. With views into the Dry Rive Wilderness and out to many mountains in Maine, it was unlike any view on a small mountain I have ever seen.



The trail is incredibly tricky and steep to get to the summit, so I carefully slid my butt down and we hit the trail one last time for a long 4.1 mile trek across the Davis Path until we arrived at the next junction. We finally reached Stairs, and decided to skip the .4 mile RT trek there and instead stopped at the hidden view just below. We had roughly 2 hours before sunset with still 4.5 miles roughly to go. We trail to continue out as quickly as we could but we were both tired and hungry. We made it back to the car at about 7:00pm. With the luck of having an owl perched right in front of us at the end of the trail and a baby male moose run out in front of our car while driving out of Jericho Road.

All in all, I knocked another off my 4k footer list. This one being one I've dreaded. I have to admit I am not sure I will ever want to go back, but you never know. It's definitely not one of my favorite peaks on the 4k list. I know most people enjoy this peak, however, I just seem to have bad luck on it.

9 more to go! Can't wait for my next adventure!


Hike Safe & Keep on Trekking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent