home is where the heart is.

"But I encourage you, all of you, to get out there and do the things you love. Don’t let there be set backs. "

A quote stolen from my last blog is exactly how I thought I would get myself back into the game and start up again from where I left off several months ago. My last blog post was all about my time spent in Colorado during my 5 month road trip. 

Colorado was one of the best parts about being on the road. We were lucky enough to have had 2 full weeks there and basically got to enjoy almost everything that state had to offer. From the Rocky Mountains, to the city life of Denver, all the way to Sand Boarding in the Great Sand Dunes. However, there was one unfortunate part that occurred shortly after my last blog was written.


Headstand at the bottom of the Dunes 
Running down the Sand Dune in bare feet. (note: the sand was extremely hot)
Windblown waves of sand.
We had arrived in Salida, CO for our first festival. We were camping and working day in and day out for 4 days straight. It was Sunday morning when I rolled over to hear my phone ringing. It was 4:30am Mountain Time. Half groggy and trying to read my phone, I noticed 3 missed calls from "Mom" and a text message or two. Immediately realizing my mother never would call me that many times knowing how early it was, I knew something was wrong. 

It's Fathers Day, without hesitation I skip listening to my voicemail and immediately get out of the tent and into the car to call my mother back. She answers, I ask what's wrong, her response is "Craigs Dead." Silence. I stop breathing for a few seconds, and here it goes. "How?" "What happened?" "This can't be." "He can't be . . ." I didn't even want to say the words, I couldn't believe what she was telling me, and what I was saying. One of my closest cousins was gone. Gone from my life forever. Taken from his dad on Fathers day, his mother, his brother and sister, his nieces and nephews, aunts and uncles. Too young to die I tell myself. I was overwhelmed with so many emotions, so far from home and my family all I could do was cry. I hung up the phone, sat in the drivers side of the car so I didn't wake Becca, and I cried. I cried for almost 2 hours before she woke up and came out of the tent.


Christmas a few years ago with Paul, Criag, myself, and Bobbi
We went to work that day. It was the longest day of my life that I can recall in a really long time. The day finally ended and we went back to camp. A half day left to work and it was done. Now I had to think about how I was getting home to my family. We traveled south to the Great Sand Dunes where we had intended to be after our event was over. Once in the hotel I made phone calls, checked flights, checked my bank account, and told Becca I had to be home for the services. She understood and we cancelled our Ohio event which we were leaving for the next day. As the great friend she is, she refused to let me get on a plane being the mess I was, and she drove me back to Boston in 2 days with minimal sleep and stops. She got me home. I couldn't thank her enough!
On the way to my cousins wake.
After, the long haul back home to Boston, we had a few days off before we had to be in PA. We both enjoyed the time spending it with friends and family. I finally got to spend a long weekend with Josh, whom I had missed more now than ever. Becca picked me up in Boston and we hit the long road back to PA for our next event. Here I finally got to enjoy the tasty goodness of a Philly Cheesesteak! I have to admit, it was pretty darn delicious.

As we made our way further south we made a stop in West Virgina at Coopers Rock State Park. We did a couple short hikes to stretch our legs and got back in the car on our way to DC.
Cooper Rock, WV
D.C Was a blast for the very little time we had to explore. We had About 6 hours to explore the nations capital, boy did we walk fast and sweat a lot that day. It was a scorcher of a day and we walked all over. We enjoyed all the cool things DC has to offer. The last thing we were debating on doing was walking ALL The Way to the US Capitol Building to get a photo. Well, we did. While we were there I realized what better place to snap a photo of us doing our usual headstands. We took turns getting each others photo, when all of a sudden a police officer yells "Hey! You girls!" We both turn and look at each other and were puzzled at what we may have done wrong. Well, we actually did nothing wrong. The police officer was so impressed he asked if he could take a picture of us doing it together because no one would believe his story. He then proceeded to tell us he had never seen anything like that before, and gave us lifetime passes inside the Capitol Building. Now THAT was awesome!
This is where I came up with #headstandsacrossthenation .
After DC we had about 4 days off. We decided to pitch our tent in the Shannondoahs. I was incredibly excited to check it out, and meet lots of thru-hikers, and possibly hike part of the AT! This was an exciting thing for me. We arrived on a beautiful day, however the clouds were building in the sky and the forecast was not calling for a nice couple of days. That night severe thunderstorms rolled through and high wind gusts blew rain sideways into our tent. Lets say, I did not sleep well that night.
Can you believe that this is a big deal?
We woke the next morning in hopes of getting a nice long hike in, but everything was soaking wet and in the fog. Yes, even out campsite was socked in. I could barely see the few campsites next to us. We packed out packs in hopes we would get to the trail head and it would clear. It didn't. We continued on the trail anyways and it was beautiful. The green forest hugging you as you walk down a well maintained flat trail. We finally came to the junction of where the AT met, and decided to take a jaunt on it. We hiked for a while then turned back and headed back to the car. With very little to see we headed back to camp for the day.
I was quite excited to see this trail marker.




Headstands at camp keep me in shape.
Later on we set out in search of a sunset. Luckily we found one.

For the next couple days in the Doah's, we decided on trying to participate in some trail magic. We had hiked a portion of the AT and gave away socks, Green Goo, or any other items we had on us. One of the nights we decided to take a drive and on our drive came across a thru-hiker walking the road. We stopped, asked him if he needed any socks etc. He replied thank you, but I just had a resupply, and I don't think I want to carry any more weight. We then offered him a beverage of choice. He did not pass up. We struck up conversation with him, he told us his story and why he was walking the road, so we decided it would be a good deed to try and squeeze him into our vehicle to give him a ride 30 miles up the road so he could catch up to his friends. A bright young man, in search of something.. I hope he found it. He was very thankful, we bid our farewells and good lucks, and he was off on trail again.
Chris (Thru-hiker we offered a ride to)


A few Thru-Hikers we offered trail Magic to.
Once our 4 days were over, we hit the road again to the north. We had a few stops in NY and then 4 days off during the 4th of July. I took my first Ferry from Long Island to CT, then train to CT to Boston to surprise my family for a weekend together! It was a well planned out and amazing surprise holiday weekend!

Check out the surprise here.. http://youtu.be/_VZMtIo609k?list=UUtJYv23GNQylCLHwF1rMBtQ


4th of July in North Conway, NH

Hike Safe & Keep On Trekking. . .



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent