Owls Head #47/48 Completion





Third time is a charm, as they say. For the last two years I have had 2 4k's left on my list. Owls Head and Carrigan. When I finish my list, I will no longer work on anymore lists specifically. Whatever mountain I choose to hike will strictly be based on how I feel that day, as it has been for the last two years. One of my biggest pet peeves about the 4k list, is how the moment I express to someone I have yet to complete the list, I am automatically pegged as an "inexperienced hiker."

I wouldn't consider myself inexperienced by any means, nor anyone else because they haven't completed their 48 4k's. I have been hiking for almost 5 years and have hiked mountains that are more than double in elevation out west. I have hiked several incredibly long days, including my most recent Pemi Loop in 16 hours. These are types of hikes, an inexperienced hiker wouldn't normally attempt in one day.

On that note, I have officially summited Owls Head. The one mountain that has been haunting me for the last 2 years. I had previously attempted this hike twice before, having to turn back due to water crossings, and the amount of cob webs and spiders on my body. (I have a fear of spiders) There was only one other 4k so far that I attempted twice and had to turn back and finally reached it on the third try, and that was Isolation.

So for the third time, I scheduled my hike with Trish and her girls. They needed OH for the grid, as well as Desserts on the 48. Just last week, Trish sprained her ankle pretty bad. She had to cancel due to the sprain to heal up quickly for their trip out West in a couple weeks. So I quickly contacted a friend who said he would come along with me if there was a last minute cancellation. He was the one I did  my Pemi Loop with and I knew he would keep me entertained on the long flat boring ass walk of Lincoln Woods. He also was kind enough to offer to break cobweb trail for me. I appreciate it!

I have this thing about wanting to hike the "Official way" for my first round of 4k's, not to mention I am just not a huge fan of bushwhacking, at least some of them. Being unfamiliar with the BW, I chose to follow the trail as you're suppose too. This means, 2 very large and sometimes dangerous water crossings. It also meant, boots off and wading across. I was ready for it.

I met Anthony "Rob" in the parking lot of Lincoln Woods at just about 6:45am. It's always nice when hiker friends are a bit early. We both geared up and hit the trail just before 7:00am as scheduled. We were in for a long 18 mile day. He called the numbers; 2.5 hrs. to the base of the slide, and 1 hr. up to the summit. We are both pretty fast hikers, and I think both enjoy pushing ourselves to move a little quicker than normal. As usual Lincoln Woods flew by. 45 minutes and we were already at the first junction for our left at Franconia Brook Trail. We trekked along, splashing through puddles and slipping through mud. We had discussed the water crossing on our way in. I had seen that Lincoln had received almost 2.5 inches of rain the day before, so I was prepared for a roaring water crossing. I even brought my trekking poles along for assistance if need be.

We finally came to the first crossing. This one is the largest out of the 2 major. Franconia Brook. We both sat down, took our boots and socks off and tied them to our packs. I was always taught, while crossing a major stream always unbuckle your pack incase you go in. This is for the safety of preventing you from getting caught on something if you get taking down stream and drowning. I walked a little up stream to a shallower part and started to carefully place my feet on each rock, expecting them to be slippery. Eventually making it to just about the middle of the river, I was  now crotch deep in water, holding on to rocks to keep my balance. Finally making it to the other side. I sat down and put my boots back on and then decided to soak my hair in the river.


Temperature of the water was refreshingly cold. My feet a bit numb in the middle, but it felt amazing since we had already hiked almost 5 miles on flat terrain. We continued our trek for about another half mile or so before we hit the Lincoln Brook crossing. Here the water was not nearly as deep as the first, but deep enough as to where we both removed our boots again. In this process, Rob lost on of his socks down stream. This is why you always carry an extra pair. haha. Luckily he did. This time we both held our boots to make the process quicker. Never getting more than calf deep we reached the other side. He sat down on a man made bench right where the BP BW pops out to put his boots back on. I put mine back on took some photos and we continued onward.


Another long boring section that traverses parallel to the river for quite a ways. I don't mind being in the middle of nowhere in the woods while hiking, but something to "ooooh and ahhhh" over is nice too. This trail does not supply that kind of experience. Finally reaching the Cairn for the Slide, this is where we stopped for the first time and ate a snack. I knew after 8 miles I would need some extra energy to head up the slide for the next mile. Later to realize, I needed more than that. I needed something more like someone to push me. haha

This Slide is the first one I have been on since Flume Slide, that was a bit nerve wracking. It was lots of scree. Loose rocks, that for every step you took you slide a foot. The further up we got, there were a few scrambles, and then a grand opening overlooking Franconia Ridge. What would have been an awesome view of Franconia Ridge was a gorgeous view of clouds hovering on the tops of all the peaks. I tried to put my focus mostly on just continuing onward and upward. I was finally getting so much closer to the summit I had been dreading for so long.

This uphill for 1 mile was brutal. It felt like it just never ended. Not to mention the rocks and roots were soaked from the day before. I was not looking forward to coming down. eventually near the top it finally plateaued. With another 3 tenths of a mile winding through the woods we finally made it. I was so happy, I could have cried. I dropped down and hugged that Cairn. I was so happy to be done with it. So much so that I decided to get my headstand in at the same time as a dessert Trish and I had previously talked about. Just incase they go with that dessert and I don't get to tag along.

It was a euphoric high, I can't really explain. I ate some snacks, we took some photos. Rob was pretty stoked he just completed another round of the 48. We congratulated each other, high fived, and packed up and headed down.

The hike out actually went by way faster than the hike in. Once we made it to the first water crossing we took the boots off again and waded across. In my head I was trying to remind myself to remind Rob to take his new cell phone out of his shorts pocket and I forgot. It wasn't until he fell in that I remember to tell him! We chuckled a little, he went for a refreshing swim, and his boots and socks were soaked. Unknowingly he actually had a 3rd pair of socks in his pack! He dump his boots out of the 3 cups of water and put them back on. The second crossing back was a breeze. By this time my socks were rubbing my feet raw from the dampness and hot spots and blisters were forming.

We hauled ass out and back to the car. We had many discussions on how exhausted we were coming out on our one day pemi-loop in comparison to this hike. We weren't falling asleep on our walk back to the car.

Finally reaching the cars, the sun was hot and the feet were sore. Boots immediately came off and it was time to relax before the drive home. All in all, it was another great hike with great company. We got back to the car in just about 7 hours. With a great 18 miles under the belt, and a third attempt, Owls Head was finally under my "feet" so to speak.

I have one more hike left to complete my 48 list. This is Carrigan. I am hoping to finish in September. Trish and the girls want to finish with me so we can enjoy some Desserts on the 48 and grid check for Carrigan in September. Not to mention I will be turning 28 in September so it just feels like a good time to complete my 48.

I hope to see you all out on the trail someday. Make sure to say hello!

Hike Safe & Keep on Trekking

Comments

  1. Congratulations! A true pleasure to read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrigain is so awesome. A great mountain to celebrate the NH 48 on. Good luck and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finally getting Owl's Head. It can be a hard hike for sure, but it sounds like yours went great. If you think the climb up the slide was hard, you should try it in knee deep snow. My first time up was brutal since I missed the Brutus Bushwhack. I've been to the summit twice now, both times in winter. I look forward to doing it in summer some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I finished my 48 on OH last month, but it took me and the group I was with 11 hours. You've certainly captured the character of the slide! When you do Carrigain, may I suggest making a loop by going up Signal Ridge and down Desolation (which I found to be a beautiful trail), returning through Carrigain Notch. You could probably do this before lunchtime...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent