Mount Hale via Fire Wardens Trail



In the last 3 months, I have spent roughly 45 hours a week at work, and working on my days off or coming in to do some work on my days off. This has been an interesting transition for me. Things have finally settled down for me and I had the opportunity to switch up my schedule and take a few extra days off here and there. It's been quite some time since I had been able to hike with my friend Rob.

I let him know I would have Wednesday off and that I was up for hiking if he was. He was game, and we made plans originally to hike out to Isolation, because he last couple attempts failed. With a last minute change in the weather, a snow storm moved through Tuesday. Dropping almost a foot of fresh powder in the higher summits.

Wednesday was going to be a beautiful day, with freshly coated trails and trees. We discussed what trail we should try and go for given the forecast was calling for high winds and very cold temperatures. Isolation was out. We eventually settled on the Fire Wardens Trail up to Mount Hale. I was pretty stoked up this choice because I've been dying to get up there from that trail for the last 2 years. Also, to check it out for back country skiing at some point this winter.

Our trail meet up time started at 8:00am, but when shoveling out ourselves the next morning we pushed it to 8:30am to be safe. Regardless of pushing the time back a half hour, we both arrived in the parking lot at 8:00am. I do enjoy hiking with others who are reliable and will arrive on time- if not early. We quickly got our gear on.

I mentioned to Rob, I did not have snow shoes because of miscommunication with Josh the night prior. However, anyone who knows me or who has hiked with me in winter, knows I do way better hiking without them, than I do with them. The issue of "snowshoes" has been one of my biggest downfalls in the hiking community. It irks me to no end, to think people  out there are judging me, because of my own comforts, and based on only their beliefs and what they think is BEST for everyone instead of just strictly focusing on themselves.

Rob, knows he can trust my judgment- I mean he did hike a 34.4 miles day hike through the Pemi Wilderness with me for our first hike together. I mean, that's taking a huge risk and trust. I am a confidant, and smart in all my decision making when I am in the back-country.

I also, debated that morning what boots I wanted to wear. It was a toss up between my Vaseque Pow Pow's or my Scarpa Mont Blanc Mountaineering boots. To give some insight on why I don't enjoy wearing snowshoes is because I am typically wearing Mountaineer boots. Not just a regular pair of winter or 3season hikers. This is what my average weight would look like in the winter to carry if I do wear them.

<BEGIN RANT>
Women's Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX Mountaineering Boots: 3lbs. 6oz. /pair
Women's TUBBS Flex ALP Snowshoes: 4lbs./pair
 
This would equal out to be an average of 3.8lbs on each foot. This can be exhausting within itself, especially when you are just trying to break into your winter legs. Never mind any past injuries, that someone like myself have that are effected by such weight on each foot. I may be young, I may be in shape, but I have torn all the ligaments in my left knee, have arthritis in the same one, and have issue with my hips. So, when I place almost 4lbs on each foot, just so that someone doesn't judge me, complain about me, or better yet refer to me as a "barebooter" with a snooty attitude, is absurd.
 
I don't enjoy putting myself in a lot of pain, or making myself uncomfortable for others to treat me with disrespect just because they think their ways of doing things are the "correct" way. I also take the extra time to watch where I place my feet so that I don't post hole, or slide. For those who say I am just creating more work for myself by not wearing them, who cares. All it's doing is making me a stronger person. I am out there trying to create work for myself. I am trying to make myself stronger each time. Not weaker. So I do exactly what my body allows me to do, and do it comfortably.
<END RANT>

Aside from my mini rant on why I choose not to wear snowshoes, Rob was happy to break trail the entire way up FWT. I followed behind in my Microspikes, and the only issue I had when trying to keep up, was after crossing some open water my spikes would ball up a bit underneath. Other than that I still hiked at the same pace he did, and kept up the entire way. I had no issues with my feet being too cold from being under the snow breaking trail with a fresh foot on top. I had no issues with my legs, hips, or knees being sore from too much weight on my feet. I felt great. My thighs a bit sore towards the end due to lack of hiking in the last 3 months, but it was great to be back out.

I thanked Rob for laying out the red carpet for me to walk down. We hit the North Twin trail until roughly about the first water crossing. Once we saw that we continued to hike along the river just a little further ahead. Rob had done this trail before and pretty much found the FWT right away. It was actually quite noticeable if you knew exactly what you were looking for.

We started up the FWT, and continued upward we snow blowing sideways at times, and falling from the trees. It was a bit chilly but warm enough when you were moving. The trail was very easy to follow and very obvious. As we got higher and higher we started to see the birch glades and the wide open areas that any back country skier would love to ski down. This trail consisted of lots of switch backs which were enjoyable at times, then some good grades of steepness. Nothing to overwhelming though.

At one point near the top, I could see Rob standing in this opening that was surrounded by trees, I thought for sure this was the end. I hustled up to get there, and as soon as I reached him he laughed and I couldn't believe it wasn't the top. FALSE SUMMIT! We continued down a long stretch and then one last final push and reached the summit.

Just before getting off the trail we both left our packs near the entrance and put on, all layers. The wind was blowing pretty steadily, but not as bad as we both were expecting. It was cold. So cold. We lasted maybe about a solid 3 minutes on the summit before making our descent back to the car.

Our descent went by incredibly fast. Before we both knew it we were back on the heard path back to our vehicles. What a relief. 8.8 miles and 4 hours exactly later we were back at the cars! What a great day. I still kept my normal pace even with the slipping and breaking trail of a foot of snow. Also, another winter 4k down for me and another new trail to check off the list.

8.8miles down 1999.2miles to go in 2016!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent