A Cannon/Jackson August Grid Completion

 



"Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try."

As I woke on Monday morning, I laid in bed contemplating the day ahead. If I really wanted to complete my August Grid and my third round of the 48, I would have to get my ass into gear. Mentally the thought of hiking one mountain and coming back to my car, driving then to another mountain to hike is exhausting.

I hit the start button on my coffee maker to get motivated. I took my time drinking my coffee and getting my pack ready to go. As soon as I was up and moving the motivation just came. My legs still tired from the day before, I just reminded myself to take it easy.

Cannon is 4 miles round trip from Kinsman Ridge Trail. It's a steep 2 miles up and 2 miles back. But I knew it was doable. The forecast had showed clearing skies for the entire day. I arrived at the parking lot around 8:30am. I jumped out of the car and hit the trail.


The day before on Isolation was quite cold, windy, rainy and frankly, brisk. It felt like winter. I had enough layer but in some sense wished I had brought more just incase. So, when I woke it was chilly in my house and I just put on warmer layers for the day. This proved to be a mistake.

Within only a few minutes and a couple tenths of a mile up the trail, I was over heating. I debated on taking my long sleeve off and just wearing my sports bra, but just couldn't get myself to do it. I suffered through it the entire way up. It was still very foggy in the valley below and the summits above. 

I passed the outlook on the way up in hopes that when I came back down the clouds would have disappeared to give me a view. I made it to the summit in just over an hour. Layered up, ate a snack, took a photo of the white sky that surrounded me, then headed back down.



Stopping at the look out, sure enough there it was! A VIEW! One of the best views from any peak. From here you look directly across to Franconia Ridge. What a glorious ridge it is.

After chatting with Ranger Ray, a nice gentleman I met in passing, I headed back to the car.

I decided to go home, eat lunch, change into shorts and a tank top, and head back to hike Mount Jackson for my finish.

-----------------------------------------------------------

After being home for a little while, I debated on hitting Jackson for sunset. However, my energy was still high and I also weighed out the consequences of "what if's". I would be hiking alone, tired, and out in the dark. I didn't want to rick getting injured in the dark, by myself. So, I decided to just go get it done.

I arrived at the trailhead for Webster-Jackson at 3:00pm. This trail again is roughly 5 miles round trip. This one being a little more generous on the vertical gain per mile. That I was thankful for. My legs actually felt pretty good. My left knee has some scar tissue from a previous surgery that was stuck in the front of my knee and starting to bother me. Otherwise, I ascended up hill as a slow and steady pace.


Not running into many people heading up, but a few heading down. I made it to the summit in just over an hour. Once up there, I sat in peace refueling, rehydrating, and taking in the views of Mount Washington. Feel incredibly accomplished.

I needed this. I didn't accomplish what I set out to do this summer, a single day hut to hut. I actually failed at my attempt. My support was weak, and some were so optimistic with my abilities which sent me spiraling into a dark hole of insecurities.

When I realized I only had 13 peaks left to grid out august and only 2 weeks to do it, I put my game face on and said, I am DOING THIS! With or without others help.


I also knew any long distance hikes/runs I need to take a step away from as I had herniated 2 discs in my lower back in June. With one pinching a nerve causing less stability in my right leg. This broke me. But, i figured any hiking is better than no hiking. So slow and steady I was.

Sometimes when life gives you rough and rugged terrain, you just have to put your head down and keep one foot in front of the other to navigate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent