Easter on Mount Jackson #27

Happy Easter to all.

It's been a beautiful weekend. The kind of weekend that I hope for every Friday when I am leaving work. It's been a busy weekend for sure with lots of fun festivities. However, I could not miss out on knocking another 4000 footer off my list.

For anyone who is reading this blog and does not know a thing about me or know me personally I am aiming to hike all of the New Hampshires 4,000 foot mountains. There is 48 of them. I started this journey, at least for the 48 in NH, June of 2012. I have climbed a few in Vermont and a couple in Maine as well.

Hiking is one of the most relaxing exercises I have ever participated in. Being in nature and experiencing life without the modern day technology and reliance on cars, cell phones, navigational gps', or internet access is one of the most exhilarating feeling one can ever feel in their life time. This blog will be my way of letting people know of trail conditions and also to show those who have never hiked before what can be experience while out in the middle of nowhere.

Today I woke up with the thought of hiking Mount Jackson (4,052'). I put together my Day Pack knowing it was roughly 5 miles round trip. This is a short day for me. A typical day in the woods is minimum 10 miles round trip. Shortly after finishing, I made breakfast and hit the road.

Mike and I pulled into the parking lot right next to the Highland center in Crawford Notch at about 9:50AM. We started toward the trail. We started on the Webster Jackson Trail at about 10:00AM.


As we stopped there to put our micro spikes on a young man and woman in their mid 20's past by us with their snowshoes on raring to go! All suited up and ready to hit the trail we started up the first pitch of the trail.
Started off as a moderate incline. We were moving pretty fast that we eventually caught up with the two who started before us. They stopped and stepped to the side to let us pass. Anyone who understands trail etiquette is much appreciated. We continued our trek onward. With the trail well packed there was no problems. No ice, no fresh powder, and not to many post holes. Just a beautiful spring-like day. Came around a short turn and came upon an older couple who was stopping to what I assume was to take a layer off. We quickly passed them and headed up what looked to be a pretty steep section of the trail. So I tried to run up the trail to capture a photo of the steep pitch while Mike was heading up.
He didn't seem to happy about that. OOPS :] haha. And onward we went. Just a little bit further we came upon a river crossing and decided it was time to drop a few layer ourselves. I went right down to my T-shirt. Shortly after we came upon the junction. Stopped for some water & quickly started again with only 1.2 miles left it makes you want to just keep pushing. 

My biggest set goal during a hike is to get to the summit. The reason for that, is because I can not wait to catch the views, sit down take a break, and eat lots and lots of good food. I say good food.. that typically is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for me. That is the kind of stuff you don't eat while hiking so it's my lunch when I get to hang out at the top. It's kind of my reward to myself for all the hard work I did to get to the top.

Almost to the summit and we started to peak through the trees and started to get some pretty awesome views. (every hikers favorite part of the day)
And then something better. We had a visit by two Gray Jays who were pretty hungry. Per usual. 
I have had the opportunity to have them eat out of my hand already this winter over on Mount Avalon across the way. Mike had not. So, I just told him to take some of the trail mix out put it in his hand and just stand there they will come to you.
Starting to feel tired after standing there for way longer than we should have I knew we had the final push to get to the summit so we continued on.

Up the final push..
And we finally arrive...the only two on the summit at the time..
 until about one minute after dropping our packs and the two pals we made just before the summit (gray jays) show up ready for more snacks. Hey guys! We need to eat too you know... We felt guilty stuffing our faces though without sharing.. so more photos came from it...

I am glad I spent my first Holiday away from family on top of a 4000 foot mountain. It was a beautiful day and a great Easter.. Even for this guy....







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent