a year came & went. .

If you read my previous blog you would have gathered that my first time hiking was just over 2 years ago. The amount of knowledge one collects from being out in the woods for long periods of time is unbelievable. 

Since it has been 2 years since I've started hiking, I have collected hundreds maybe even thousands of photos of all the hikes I have done. 

With no real goal set in my mind, I just hit the internet for information, books for best trails, and an EMS to purchase waterproof maps. Since I really don't want to write a blog on every hike I have done up until I decided working my way down the 4,000 footer list, I will sum it all up into one blog and catch up to where I decided to start my journey through the Whites.

Tuckerman Ravine 4/9/11
North Baldface Mountain 7/23/11
A few weeks after I hiked Monadnock a friend mentioned to me hiking up into the bowl of Tuckerman Ravine to watch the spring skiers. I was convinced with out a second thought in my mind. I packed up and headed north. It was a beautiful day in April. Crystal clear skies and warm temperatures in the 60's. I started off on a trail that was unfamiliar to me. Eventually I had to stop every 10 steps and was cursing the entire way up to Hojo's. But for some reason when I finally got to the bowl & watching many hikers carrying their skis, kids, and 30 racks up I realized, "WOW this is unlike anything I have ever seen before".
Old Bridle Path Lafayette 7/30/11
Abol Slide; Mount Katahdin 8/20/11

Shortly thereafter came what would be the first purchase of a pair of L.L Bean hiking boots & a Camel Back hydration pack. Then it began... The 2 hikes leading up were not the longest hikes on the map until I came across the Baldfaces in Maine. One of the most beautiful hikes I have done. But, with a new pair of boots after the 9.8 miles, with about 3600 ft of elevation gain my feet had never hurt as bad as they did that day. AHHHH and because of that I discovered MOLE SKIN. One of the best things ever made.

From then on I spent almost every weekend heading to a new location. I even hit my first couple 4,000 footers and my first of winter hikes... soon came Franconia Ride (Lafayette, Lincoln, Little Haystack), Baxter State Parks Mount Katahdin, Old Speck Mountain, and Cannon Mountain. Lafayette was the coldest and windiest and I am pretty sure the scariest day I've ever had on a mountain. Katahadin was a little nerve racking thinking about going back down on a dirt slide. So, we decided to take the Hunt trail down and walk an extra 2 miles back to our car. That was a mistake.. so I'd say it was the LONGEST most strenuous day.

Mount Katahdin 5,268
Old Speck 12/10/11


Old Speck Mountain 4,170
Then I was introduced to winter hiking. Boy, was this the most interesting. A friend asked me to join him on a hike up Old Speck Mountain in Maine. I had never been to this mountain nor had I ever hiked in the conditions I hiked in that day. I knew temperature wise what I was getting myself into.

I had just bought some microspikes knowing I wanted to get into winter hiking. Brought them with me and never used them because I was nervous about using something on this great big hike I had never used before. MAN WAS THAT DUMB!



There was no snow on the ground anywhere all the way up on my drive from Boston. Until we pulled into the parking lot and there was about 5 inches of fresh stuff on the ground. Off we went.. It was probably one of the longest coldest hikes I've been on. This not only was my first winter hike, but my first one that ended in the dark. However, I survived.

On to the second of my winter hikes. I had finally felt comfortable enough with my micro spikes and was ampt to get back out there and try a winter hike one more time before the season ended. This one was much much more enjoyable. I hit the trails on good ole' Cannon Mountain. Me and two others met in the parking lot and headed up Hi-Cannon Trail.

HI-Cannon Trail 1/7/12

Cannon Mountain 4,100

And so my journey began. With just a few hikes under my belt and so many peaks out there to hike, I set out with goals. I wanted to go out with a BANG! So my journey continued with 3 set goals in mind for the following summer.

1.Summit the highest peak in the North East. Mount Washington 6,288
2. Complete a Presidential traverse in 2 days.
3. Hike Knife Edge on Mount Katahdin.
Guess how many I've accomplished?
Let the journey continue. . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent