Transition Season

Well, it's that time of year now. The leaves have fallen, parks are closing, temps have dropped and some mountains are snowcapped.

I had my last opportunity of the year to climb Mount Katahdin. I picked the last opening week for them and we had crystal clear skies and I finally made it across Knifes edge and hit all summits.

Here is my day in photos there:










Overall, I enjoyed myself immensely in Baxter. I can not wait for next summer to explore the rest of the park. With that being said it was back to NH, back to reality. I still am slowly knocking down what i have left of my 48- 4000 footers. So it was time to get back to our mountains.

I had mentioned doing the Osceolas within the next few days on Facebook and a friend, Trish, had mentioned she and her girls, Alex & Sage, would want to join. When the week rolled around, the weather was looking pretty yucky. Trish messaged me on Thursday afternoon wondering what the plan would be if I wanted to still go. I was very hesitant. The weather was looking like lots of rain. Later that night I message her saying yeah lets do it.

What the hell. Her and I planned to meet at Greeley at 7:30 Friday morning and then I got into her car and we headed to Tripoli RD where we started out traverse.

On this trip they needed a Trailrights peak so I summited my first bushwhacked peak! ha. It was interesting, yet fun because Alex and Sage were having a blast in the real wooded area, as most kids should! Meanwhile, Trish and I being much taller than her kids were trying to maneuver our way through and under branches.

After about an hour in the woods we hit the trail again to Osceola. We finally made it up where it opened to beautiful views on the summit.

After munching on our snacks and trying to stay out of the wind and the cold, we decided to keep on moving. It was quite windy and chilly this day. So we started our steep descent down to East Osceola. I chose to go down the actual Chimney even though soaking wet. I figured why the hell not. So, I went down and then Alex and Sage went down after me! Again, enjoying themselves. Kids having fun out in the wilderness laughing and goofing off is an awesome feeling and makes you realize when you are on trail you can just be you and have a good time. No judgment by anyone. Well, some, but who cares what they think.

The official summit of Osceola!

The infamous Chimney

East Osceola
Photo Credit to Trish! :]
We finally hit east Osceola where Trish broke out the Easter Oreos she had made. Well, she made the chocolate coating they were dipped in. My favorite! They were incredibly delicious! Shortly after we finished munching on oreos we headed down and out. The girls, giggling, laughing, playing, and just having a blast going down all the steep bits Trish and I were focusing on. We finally hit the flat bit out and back to our car, which flew by. Probably because the girls were having a good time ahead of us, while we were in conversation the entire way out.

The day went entirely to fast in my opinion, even though we really didn't go to fast. We all took our time and enjoyed it. But when you find you are in good company time flies when you are having fun!

Another 2 down and 7 more to go. All  in great company!


Hike Safe & Keep on Trekking!

Comments

  1. Great write up and nice pics, Samantha. Cool shots of both the Chimney on the Knife Edge and the one on Osceola!

    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll second Chris, great pics! Did you go across to Hamlin and down from there or did you use the Saddle Trail?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chris! & Jim, thanks as well. We went up Helon Taylor over Knifes to Baxter and then over to Hamlin Peak and down Hamlin Ridge Trail and out it was such a great day! So happy I hit all the peaks.. :]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent