Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent

IT IS NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER; BUT OURSELVES


I've decided to take a break from blogging about my road trip for a moment. Life has thrown me more lemons since I've gotten home that I can barely keep up with making lemonade. In less than 6 months I have lost 3 family members, 3 wakes, 3 funerals, 3 awkward family functions. I am finally back on a some what normal schedule and this past weekend was the first in a while I had 2 full days off to hike.

Hiking has always brought me back to a better place when all else is just sucking. So the last two days were fulfilled with good company, great laughs, and strength. I see hiking as a way to give me strength and prove to myself I have the strength to keep on moving even when shit gets tough.

Sunday 2/22/15:

A friend of mine asked me if I would be willing to take her out on her first winter hike. I felt absolutely honored to. I enjoy when my friends really want to learn and are not afraid to ask me to guide them. I decided something close to home, had views, and was somewhat moderate would be best. I took her to Kearsarge North in North Conway. Weather was actually warm, in the mid 20's sun was in an out.


I helped prepare her on the gear she would need and gave her a few things she didn't have. We hit the trail, and barebooted the entire way up. It was a great day. We brought lots of fun food, we talked about anything and everything that came to mind. We learned about each other and laughed at each other.

Once we made it to the top, as exhausting as it was, it always feels so amazing! We broke out our Guinness' we brought with our Leavitts Doughnuts and enjoyed our summit snack! Congrats Rena, you did an amazing job. It takes a very unique and very strong person to push through challenges that any winter hike will throw at you. I am so proud of you and hope you enjoyed yourself and hopefully see you out there again!



Monday 2/23/15- Mount Lafayette:


It has been what feels like a decade since I have hiked a 4000 Footer. Like I said earlier I have been busy with everything life has been throwing at me. My blog is called "A Trail to Self Discovery" because that is exactly what hiking the 4k's were all about for me. I would find myself lost in life, but then would find my way on trail.

This day was going to be a BIG day in my book.

After spending time at home burying my grandfather, and having tons of mixed emotions on Kate Matrosova (hiker who died in the northern Presi's) I needed some time out in the hills myself.

Josh agreed to hike Lafayette with me. We packed our packs the night before and checked the weather and trail conditions right up until the moment we left and then again once we got into Lincoln. I knew the temperatures were supposed to plummet throughout the day and winds were supposed to be decently high. It would be a very chilly day up there. I packed as if I were spending the night. (If you would like a list of my gear for that day let me know, I would be happy to send it to you)

We arrive at the trail head at about 7:40am. We quickly put our snowshoes on and got moving because of how cold it was when the wind hit you in the face. Our plan was to head up Old Bridle Path to Greanleaf Hut, assess the weather situation, attempt the summit of Lafayette, if we made it, then possibly attempt traversing the ridge.

I knew that the winds would be somewhere between 40-60MPH sustained based on the forecast for the higher summits on MWOBS webpage. I also knew the winds would be coming form the N- NW. I knew heading up the summit cone would be the worst of it as the winds would be smacking us right in the face at times, but I also knew if we did attempt the ridge they would have been at our back the entire time.


We arrived at Greanleaf Hut where we hunkered down in a doorway and out of the wind. We put on most of our layers we had and quickly ate some food and drank some water and hot apple cider. It didn't take long for my toes to start to get cold and I knew I had to get moving sooner rather than later. (Mind you I had mountaineering boots) Just proof stopping for long periods in conditions like this can be incredibly dangerous.

We hit the trail to the summit, it was in and out of the clouds as we headed up. As soon as we popped out from the trees it was brutally cold. My ass went numb within a matter of minutes. I didn't put my goggles on just yet because it wasn't too bad. Josh ahead breaking through some snow drifts pushing forward. I followed shortly behind. We finally made it to the top. It was no more than a couple of minutes and a few pictures and we called it. His face looked quite red and his buff just was not working the way he wanted it too.

I had brought my grandfathers Marine Corps flag with me and got a picture of me with it on the summit and took a selfie of Josh and I. We quickly rushed off the summit and back down to Greanleaf Hut. About half way down Josh turned around to say something to me and I notice a very large white line across his right cheek. Exposed skin, -20 degrees F,  40MPH winds with much higher gusts equals frost nip. I yelled as loud as I could- "You have to cover your face, you're starting to get frost bite!" He replies "I know."

I felt awful. I must have told him 10 times I had an extra balaclava and fleece neck warmer he could use. We finally got into the trees and the wind wasn't blowing directly on us anymore. We drank some water and ate a quick snack. Off to the hut we went.

At the hut the sun was shining bright and it felt so warm on my back, we both turned around and looked at where we had just came from, to see it was completely cleared out. In someways I think Josh was bummed we didn't continue on. In some ways I was. But the call we made to go back down was smart and absolutely the right one. Why? Because that mountain and that ridge will be there another day, a better day, a warmer day, that's why.

We took more pictures enjoyed some time at the hut now that the winds and cold wasn't so bad there anymore. We finally packed up our packs and headed back to the car.

Overall we had a really great, but extreme day. We were prepared to both spend the night if we had to. We packed plenty of food, we heated our water before leaving, together we brought a bivy, sleeping bag, and a sleeping bag liner. We had multiple options, turn around points, and kept a straight head. Because of that we ended up having an amazing day on trail and one of the most extremes the two of us had ever been out in.

I have had Lafayette (winter hike) on my bucket list for years now. I can finally say it was a hike I will always remember. Also, I did it using snowshoes for the first time hiking in the winter. Anyone who knows me and how I feel about snowshoes would be amazed that I did. I am glad I got to share that experience with someone else. I couldn't be more proud of myself for who I have become in the last 4 years of my life.

I am starting to realize no matter what part someone played in your life, they are part of who you are today. People who have been part of my life for 1 day or for the last 27 years, they are all people who have helped shaped me into the person I am today. I am a courageous young woman who aspires to climb big mountains someday, to continue learning, to love all I meet, and to hopefully touch someone elses heart the way others have touched mine.

Hike Safe & Keep on Trekking

Comments

  1. Great read Samantha===sorry for your recent losses. I hope the Mountains brought you some peace in this most difficult time, the winter scenes are beautiful. Keep hiking and hope to get out there with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Trails! Love your upbeat spirit and forward direction, despite the bumps in the trail. And your pics too. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Sorry for your recent losses. Lafayette is a great winter hike, and a great place to catch a sunset from. Which I hope to do again in the very near future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone! :] Hopefully see you out there on trail someday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain