Franconia Ridge Traverse

"I just want to have a completely adventurous, passionate, weird life."

My alarm went off at 3:00am, I was packed and ready to make an attempt on a solo Presi Traverse. When my alarm went off, something was telling me not to venture into the Presidential Range for the day. Later to realize I am glad I didn't.

As a hiker, in order to be a skilled and smart one, you must go with your first intuition and gut. I tend to usually do this, most for the sake of living another day! I believe that if something just doesn't feel right, or if you have any doubts, it's just not worth it. Come back another day, when the feeling is right.

That's Cannon Mountain
I decided to hit snooze for a couple hours and hit the Franconia Ridge for the afternoon. I arrived at the parking lot around 7:00am, and was on trail shortly after that. I started with snowshoes on, then I realized the trail was incredibly packed out, so I stopped to take them off. I barefooted for a little while until I started hitting some steeper sections, then decided to throw on my crampons. After a little bit of hiking in my crampons, I went back to the snowshoes right before the "Agonies". I won't lie, I wanted the heel bar.

It felt much easier going up Old Bridle Path today, more so than a few weeks ago. Although, I felt like I was dragging ass, which I was. I stopped plenty of times to just breathe, and take it all in. I ran into a couple folks on the way up. Rachel and Isis were one of them. At least ones I knew. It was nice to stop and chat with them for a little while, later to meet up again at the Hut.

I finally came to the 1/4 of a mile sign to Greenleaf Hut and kept on trekking, but then I started to give up on myself, saying maybe I will just go to the Hut and turn around. I don't know what my problem was all day, I just couldn't seem to get myself out of a stooper.

I arrived at the Hut, dropped my pack and immediately grabbed food and water. I was starving, and thirsty. That was my problem. Shortly after, 2 gentlemen came up from behind me and we chatted for a few, then they took off up the trail. As soon as I was getting ready to hit trail myself again, Rachel came around the corner, as well as 3 others. We all chatted for a bit and then I took off.

1.1 miles to the summit of Lafayette. Here goes nothing. I gave it my all. But there is one thing on Lafayette that gets me every time. The false summit. You're looking up and you see it. It's getting closer and closer, then suddenly the trail bends and sends you to the left, wraps you around and then you're looking up and it's not the first bulge you thought it was, but now it's THAT one. I finally made it to the top! AHHH RELIEF. Until I got one of the worst calf cramps I have ever experience on trail.

As far as I can recall, I have never had cramps in my muscles since I have started hiking. This time I got one of those "Jump out of bed in the middle of the night, calf cramps". You know what one I am talking about? Yeah, one of those. It finally subsided and I took a few photos and got just below the summit where I could grab another snack and keep moving.

I continued across the ridge, debating the entire time to just take my snowshoes off. They were aggravating me to a point of not even enjoying my hike anymore. I am sorry, but snowshoes are meant for fluffy, unpacked powder, not rock and packed trails. I mean I was one of the only 2 on trail all day out of the 25 people I passed wearing them. Everyone else was in micro-spikes or hill sounds.



I finally hit Little Haystack, took a few photos and started down trail. It wasn't long before I stopped dropped my pack and took my snowshoes off for good. I barefooted with no traction down Falling Waters Trail. I probably butt-slid most of the steeper sections which were so much fun! I have to say Falling Waters has some of the best butt-sledding around! A few exposed rocks, and roots though, so be careful. It's that time of year.

There was only one section of this trail which was sketchy and was a steep sheet of ice. It was the last section at the bottom of the Falls. I maneuvered my way down by putting my feet on either side and slowly butt sliding down.

After that it was a walk in the park out. I did however come across 2 hikers and their 2 dogs on the way in. In casual conversation, I had asked how far they were going, then realizing he was wearing jeans, timberland boots, a very nice "wool" shirt, and no traction. They were about a half mile in from the car at around 1:00pm. They responded with, "We are crossing the Ridge today." I almost fell down, I had to almost ask them again to make sure I heard them correctly. I hate to be one who judges others, because I don't like others to do it to me, especially on trail. So, to each their own, and good luck. The only other question I asked was if he had traction, because she had hers on and he didn't. He told me no. I simply warned him about the icy spot just further up, and said be careful and enjoy your day!

I got back to the car around 1:20pm. I took my boots off and boy did it feel so good. Most winter hikers, will just wear winter hiking boots with snowshoes. But mountaineering boots weigh so much more and to add the snowshoe on top of it, is just unbearable to me. I think I am going to boycott snowshoes again. I tried it, I just don't enjoy it. It makes me not enjoy my hikes, and I am out there to enjoy it, not to be uncomfortable. I do give you hikers who use them, all the credit in the world because I believe they are actually a lot more work to use then just bare booting.

My day was complete with beautiful views on top of the Ridge. I have been up there a handful of times and never once have I had views. Today was a first in my books, and I will absolutely take it! It was quite windy and felt pretty cold on the Ridge, so I was glad I wasn't traversing the Presi's. Also, Tuckerman Ravine had several avalanche slides happen as well as other typical spots on the mountain. My gut feeling was telling me not to go for some reason, and I am glad I went with it.













Hike Safe & Keep on Trekking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent