Sherburne Ski Trail; Mount Washington

"Sometimes it takes a good fall to know where you stand."


I had made plans to meet a friend and hike up Tuckerman Ravine Trail and ski out the Sherborne Skit Trail on Mount Washington. Looking forward to it, I got off work on Saturday night and spent my evening packing my gear.

1st time carrying skis on my back!
You know that you have a little bit of a gear buying problem when it take you 45 minutes alone just to pick a backpack to use for your day. After checking the weather we both decided to push our meet time for breakfast an hour later than planned. The temperature on the summit of MW were supposed to drop to negative teens and winds sustained well above hurricane force gusting even higher. I knew it would be a cold, windy, but sunny day up there.

I filled my belly with a great tasting sausage egg and cheese on one the the best bagels in town at Bagels Plus in North Conway! If you have never eaten there, stop in and check it out!

Finally after taking our time catching up and getting some food into our bodies we were off to brave the cold and wind on Mount Washington. This was the first time for me this year to hike up and ski out, so I was nervous with my pace and the weight of the pack on my back with skis and boots.



Once we were all geared up we decided to get our photos and weigh in. Yup, we weighed our packs. My pack weighed in around 30lbs with my skis and boots and all other essentials inside. Not bad. Off we went. We enjoyed good laughs along the way.

I always try and hike with a good smart head on my shoulders. When hiking in high winds like we were feeling on the trail, I started to get a little concerned about falling trees. We assessed our situation at every cut off to the Ski Trail. The further we got up the less the trees shook. So the more confident I felt continuing on to HoJo's. There were a few good gusts that stopped us dead in our tracks on the way up.

Coming to the last bend in the trail and passing Lion Head Summer Route, the end was near. Arriving at HoJo's winds were blowing pretty good and temps were extremely frigid. I quickly dropped my pack grabbed my puffy and headed inside to warm up before switching out my Scarpa Mont Blancs for my cold, frozen ski boots. When I went to put my ski boots on, they were frozen stiff and shut. With the help of the gentleman on trail I finally got my feet in them. We took a couple quick photos, locked into our skis, and hit the trail.

What I was hoping would be a fresh covered ski trail, was no longer. Between the amount of skiers before us, and mostly the winds, there was nothing left but a long run of ice. I had taken a few falls, and 1 yard sale. It was a lot of great entertainment for the day and lots of good laughs that needed to be had all around!




Every winter I step on trail at whatever opportunity I have. I do it for myself. I do it because I enjoy getting outside and enjoying activities like hiking or skiing. I am not out there trying to be the fastest hiker, or the best skier, or even out there trying to just hike a mountain for a list. I go to have fun and laugh with out making it feel like it's a job. I enjoy the company with others and most of all I love meeting new people on trail. Just like the two kind men who were more than happy to help me get my ski boots on. I felt like cinderella in a another life. hah. It seems as though those who really do enjoy getting out for the relief of the daily hustle and bustle are the most sincere, humorous, and those I feel you can have a decent conversation with. Yet, they are strangers and somehow feel like friends you have had for years.


Hike Safe & Keep on Trekking

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent