Kearsarge North

"Every sunset brings the promise of a new dawn."

I woke up Monday morning a little sore from the day be-fore's jaunt across Tom, Field, and Willey. However, I enjoyed what the beautiful day had to offer. I did my usual errands throughout the day and decided to take a sunset hike to the top of my local mountain here in town.

In need of a new book.
Living in a small mountain community, it's nice to know we have large enough mountains but short enough trails. Then again isn't what the entire White Mountains of NH consist of? SHORT AND STEEP?

Kearsarge North is located right here in North Conway. It's elevation peaks just about 3,000ft above sea level. North Conway is roughly about 525 feet above sea level.. This mountain is 6.2 miles round trip with an elevation gain of roughly 2200ft. This means, it's short and steep.

I have hiked this mountain a few times, and every time I tell myself it's not a hard mountain, it will be quick and easy. Days are getting longer and I can leave work and run up this mountain and be back before dark. NOT!

5:00pm rolled around as I hit the trail, I told myself it would be an easy hike, like always. This trail starts very flat and pretty much walks through backyards of residents living in the area. No soon as you disappear further away from those homes, does the steepness of the trail kick in. The trail was pretty much a mix of dry, wet, mud, ice, and minimal snow until about the half way point. I started without traction and finally tossed on my spikes about half way up when the trail was pretty much a monorail of ice and snow.

As I continued up, I watched the sun fall to the west of me and I kept telling myself I had to make it up before the sun set. Lots of running water on trail, and I had regretted not bringing my Sawyer mini so that I could filter some fresh ice cold mountain water to drink.

An hour and half later I was finally at the top and soaking in what the sunset had to offer. Clouds were moving in as it was foretasted to rain that evening. I could see Mount Washington in all it's glory from the fire tower located up top. I fueled up and decided to make a quick decent so I didn't have to use my headlamp.


With about 1 mile from the car, it was finally dark enough as to where I had to use my headlamp. The trail was quite slick coming out with lots of running water over sheets of ice coming down. At one point as the words were coming off my lips "This trail is slick even with spikes on." I slipped and slid down the trail in a puddle of water and stopped myself right before sliding down the hill and into the very large roaring river down beneath me.


Back at the car in less than 3 hours. I was proud of myself. In my last blog post of the last time I did this hike at night, it took me much much longer. I think it's safe to say, I am finally getting myself back into hiking shape! Bring on Summer..
MW and the Summit of Kearsarge
View of MW from inside the Fire Tower.
Please respect the signs all around you in the mountains.

Hike Safe & Keep on Trekking

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent