Baldface Loop & 2 Moose

"IN EVERY WALK WITH NATURE, ONE RECIEVES FAR MORE THAN HE SEEKS."



Josh and I had to drop his daughter off at school and decided to hike in Evans Notch since it's only a few minutes away from where she goes to school. We both decided to hike the Baldfaces'. We had attempted to do this loop together as our first hike on a time crunch and in the winter. Only making it to South Baldface and turning back.

This would be my second time hiking the entire loop since the first time I had ever hiked it before. My first time was a challenge. It was 98 degrees, muggy as hell, I forgot sunblock, brand new hiking boots, and it was my 2nd hike I had ever done.

We had all of our gear gathered up the night before, we dropped Harper off and hit the trail at about 8:00am. We did the first few miles quickly considering how flat it is. We made it to the Baldface Shelter, 2.5 miles by 9:11am. Here we stopped to take a bit of a break and eat something before we pushed on upward on the ledges. I could barely remember any part of the hike except the ledges from my last hike, so I had somewhat of an idea on what I was getting myself into. While at the Shelter, I looked for a huge mistake I made as a new hiker. Being my second hike and knowing absolutely nothing about keeping trails clean, LNT, and just overall very uneducated I decided to carve my initials into the Shelter. Looking back I am horrified at just how uneducated I was and that I didn't even think about all the hard work that gets put into those shelters. It's sad to think that almost 6 years later it is still there. Over time is where you learn all about being in the back country and I am glad I can look back and see that I made mistakes, but those mistakes are what make me who I am today. I would never think twice about doing such thing again and I am thankful for all those who have helped me become educated as time went on and excused my behavior as a newby in the hiking community.

The ledges are only 7 tenths of a mile but gain quite a bit of elevation in such a short period of time. We crawled up the ledges. Josh went to grab onto a tree to assist him in a climb and a broken off nub of a branch went right through the web of his pointer and middle finger. It's not a hike until there is blood or mud.

We topped out at the massive rock pile at the Bald Knob Trail Junction. Here is where I remember the first time reaching this pile and thinking "Oh thank goodness, it's the summit." Then quickly realizing it wasn't. This time thought I knew it wasn't and I felt great.

On our way up to the summit of South Baldface we stopped to take pictures and eat some blueberries, yes there was still plenty of them. After a few minutes doing this we continued to push forward with the last couple tenths of a mile. We were just shy of the summit maybe 50 ft and I heard some weird grunting news to my right. Josh didn't hear it because he had his headphones in his right ear. I say out loud "I think there is a grouse in the bushes beside up." He looks up and says "MOOSE!" There stood not even 50 ft in front of us and on the summit was a Female Moose. We both quickly tried to get our phones out to take a picture, as soon as we both look up I say "oh man, it's a Bull. Look at that rack." The female walked away and the Bull moose started to follow leaving us just enough time to capture some video of the Bull.

We scurried up quietly and around to the other side in hopes we could stay far enough away and catch the two of them on the summit. We both were well aware that it was rut season and the last thing we should be doing is getting in the way of a Bull and his woman. So we went to the right as they went to the left. Unfortunately, after making it to the summit they were long gone. We were both pretty happy to have gotten to see them regardless. Our day was pretty much made at this point.

We didn't stay long at the summit of South Baldface. We took a few quick photos and continued towards North Baldface. Josh made sure to take his headphones out for the rest of the hike in case of another moose sighting. I kept my eyes and ears very alert at this point.
North Baldface Summit Selfie

1.2 miles later and we were at North Baldface. Here we sat down took a break and drank some water. The day was much warmer than when we had started and we both were sort of dreading the long boring stretch out. After a few minutes up here we hit the trail and headed back to the car.

4.9 miles back to the car. Nearing the last and final few we decided to start running. Our knees told us they felt better when we just ran it out instead of walking it out. So off and on we trail ran back to the car.

The Baldfaces are by far one of my favorite hikes. Incredible views from the summits and a different perspective of the surrounding mountains I am usually climbing. All in all, it was a beautiful day and we finished with plenty of time to spare!
 
I love Bog Bridges!
I also learned a few things today while on trail. As a beginner hiker you are more likely to make mistakes and not on purpose. You are not trying to hurt or disrupt natures being, it simply is what you have been used to in whatever life you come from. Natures landscape is one of the largest natural beauties we have and it's right here in our own back yard, so try to keep it the way we want it to be as if it was our own garden. I not only found that my initials were still sadly carved into someones hard work in building that shelter, but I also for more than a mile ran into lots and lots of egg shells left behind. As well as a few pieces of TP, and some trash I picked up along the way.

As for learning about other things in nature, I also learned that if you come across a white fluffy caterpillar- DO NOT touch it. These are poisonous little cute creatures and will give you quite the itchy rash.
Hickory Tussok Moth


Hike Safe and Keep on Trekking.

Comments

  1. Lovely! I am looking forward to these mountains and this is a great perspective. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent