Ike & Pierce -Lunar, Harvest, & Full Moon Night Hike!


How exciting is it to  have such a unique event happen in your lifetime? This one lined up just perfectly. The weather conditions were just right, the timing worked out to be perfect for me to get off work and hit the trail, and the company who invited me along was just as great as always!

A couple weeks prior Trish had reached out to me and had asked if I wanted to join her and the girls on a night hike to see the Lunar, Harvest, and full moon. I had said absolutely. We chose a summit above tree-line and a time to meet.

We decided to stick with Eisenhower and Pierce loop. We honestly could not have gotten better weather. I invited Josh to come along with us. Once I was out of work I made a quick stop at Rite Aid where I found the "Moon Pies" Trish had been looking for. I headed home to quickly pack my pack and we hit the road towards Crawford Notch.

We met Trish, Alex, & Sage in the parking lot of Crawford Path, left one car there as a spot and Josh and I hopped into Trish's car and we headed to Edmonds Path parking lot. We all geared up, feeling a little chilly I decided to keep a few extra layers on to start. We all put our headlamps on and started up the trail.

I started by leading the way. Trish had mentioned this would be there first complete night hike with the girls, and we both wanted to make sure everyone felt confidant and not nervous. Night hiking can be quite scary, and fun all at the same time. With having the brightest headlamp going first, lit up the entire trail for about 100+ feet. This gave everyone behind me the option to look and see a bit further.

This was the time heading up Edmonds Path for myself and Josh, and I have to admit I was pretty pleased with how great of a trail it was. I find myself cursing Crawford Path (The oldest bridle path in America) every time I set foot on it. So, I was shocked to see such a great trail that most avoid because Crawford is the "Go To"  recommended trail.

Eventually reaching the junction for the Eisenhower Loop, we stopped to take some photos as we watched the moon rise high above our heads. As we trekked up to the summit of Ike, we watched as the moon turned different colors, a really bright orange.

Upon arriving on the summit of Ike, we all dropped our packs pulled out all the warmest pieces of gear we had and bundled up. Once bundled up, we broke into our stash of great goodies we brought along. Trish, Alex, and Sage brought along Reese's and some other candy, and I packed some Milky Way's and Moon Pies.

We all indulged in probably way too much candy and sat as we watched the Lunar Eclipse happen. After about an hour or so, we decided to keep on moving and make our way over to Pierce. By about half way across, the girls were starting to get tired and what is usually a very easy and simple hike across felt like forever for us.

We continued to push on, making it to the summit. On our way up to the top we spotted some campers sleeping in a tent on the alpine vegetation. Clearly, they did not read the signs on the way up, nor did they do their research. If they did, then complete shame on them for not following the rules of the wilderness.

We enjoyed a few more snacks on Pierce, for only a few minutes before we started down. It was a little more slow going on the way down, mostly because it was pretty late and we were all tired and trying to watch our footing coming down Crawford Path.

We made it back to the cars, said our goodbyes and all drove home. It had been such an eventful day and night for all, but such a great experience had by everyone. I am so grateful to have such amazing friends who are willing to do some crazy, out of the ordinary stuff with me. As usual another great hike in the books.



 Hike Safe & Keep on Trekking

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent