Ice Luge Hiking, Redlining, & Winter Peaks

Photo Credit: Denise
It's been 4 days since I was last on Mount Jackson. However, a friend asked me if I would be around on Thursday to hike with her. I said yes and we agreed to hit Mount Jackson then Mount Pierce and down Crawford Path back to the car.

Weather conditions were calling for some strong winds in the higher, and more exposed summits so we stuck with something a little smaller. I was pretty excited for this hike. I knew that I would not only knock off another winter 48 but I would also be red lining some trails I had never done before.

If you haven't read my blog about my final finish of the 48 then you don't know I have no set goals in mind. I am not hiking anymore just to finish another "list". I am literally going out and hiking whatever path I end up on. If it works out to be that I am red-lining as well as knocking off winter peaks, or even gridding that's great! Someday, I am sure I will have every list done, but not on purpose.

Denise is gridding so I was happy to do whatever it was she needed. I also hadn't hiked with her in quite some time and was really looking forward to it. Our set time to meet was at 8:00am at the Highland Center where we left one car and parked over at the Jackson trailhead parking area.

I had not slept at all the night before, mostly due to stress. I woke up and rushed around forgetting to eat breakfast. If I don't eat breakfast before a hike- it usually means I am not going to hike my best. We hit the trail, not knowing what the trail conditions would be like considering we had just had extremely warm temperatures the last couple days and lots and lots of rain.

I put my spikes on as soon as we started just because again, my boots don't have the best of traction. We started up the trail full speed ahead. Chit chatting the entire way. Denise sure proved to me I am way out of shape haha. She could hold a conversation with me and still hike at an incredible pace. Meanwhile, I knew I hadn't had breakfast and a very small dinner the night before. I need to get back into my summer hiking pace asap.

As we continued up Jackson, the trail was quickly eroded and in a lot of spots it was either a trail of running water, or a slick ice luge. Rotting snow everywhere, lots of rocks exposed. The trail I slid down on Sunday, was now diminished by Thursday. A few of the water crossing were quite sketchy, because there was fast running water over what looked like was still ice and really was slushy snow.

It was incredibly warm and I was over dressed. I wore base layers under my soft shells and was too warm. We hit the steeps of Jackson right before the summit, which were now a pure sheet of slick ice. For some reason, my micro-spikes just weren't doing their job. I made it up just fine, but I was wishing I had my crampons in some spots.

We were at the summit for only a few minutes to take photos of a crystal clear sky and Mount Washington Summit being the only thing in the fog. We started down headed towards Mizpah Spring Hut and Mount Pierce. This was a slick steep sheet of ice in a few places. Forcing us to swing from branches and trees like monkeys in some spots. It was all in fun though and we managed. We stopped in conversation at one point, and I looked down at my feet to realize, I had my spike on backwards the entire time. HA! No wonder they were not working properly.

If you are wondering if it makes a difference? It sure does. There is a right and a wrong way to wear your micro-spikes. It was all making sense to me now. I waited until we got to the hut to switch them out.

Arriving at the hut we stopped to take a short break and eat a snack. The sun was beating down on us and it felt so nice. We then packed up our stuff again and headed for the last .9 of the trail to the summit of Pierce. Not having ever been on this section of trail before I wasn't sure what to expect. It was pretty steep for a portion of it, then graded out nicely for the rest of it, popping you right onto the summit and out of the trees. Here is where I started to notice that snow fleas are already out. Total spring like conditions all day.

As soon as we came out of the trees and hit the summit of Pierce, it was pure fog, and strong winds. Visibility was no more than 100feet. We went from a gorgeous day on Jackson, so a not so nice day on Pierce. It was fun getting to experience 2 different extremes through out the day.

We didn't stay long before heading down to Crawford Path for our descent. On our descent we ran into 2 men who were hiking up. Bob and Armando. I happen to know them from the MWOBS. One of which was my volunteer a couple years back. It's always nice to stop and chat with others you know on trail. I was happy to see them and wished them luck on their day ahead and winter trip this weekend they won at the OBS annual hike-a-thon.

Denise and I flew down Crawford Path. The trail was more packed out and less water running on this side witch made for a very smooth descent. We were down and out by 12.30pm.

Overall, another great day had in the mountains with great friends. More miles down for my 2016 miles for 2016. I am excited to get myself back in the game!
 
 
8.8 miles down 1979 to go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent