10 and 1.

10 and 1. Sounds like sports talk, but it's not. 

Today marks a huge accomplishment not only for me but a friend I went to high school with. A few days ago I got a message asking about hiking Mount Washington from my friend Kate. Her and her b.f, Ray, really wanted to knock this one off their bucket list. Like most people, they knew Mount Washington is a scary mountain and many have died trying to summit this one. One to be very much intimidated by.

Knowing she had a friend who had climbed it several times, Kate & Ray asked me if I would go along with them on their first ascent. I was more than happy to join them. This was my 10th ascent of Mount Washington myself. I was originally planning on holding off and hiking Huntington Ravine for my 10th ascent, however, for whatever reason it didn't play out that way. I am OK with that.

I met Kate & Ray at Pinkham Notch Visitor Center at about 7:30am. We shortly hit the trail there after. We discussed options of what routes they would feel more comfortable with and what my opinion was of the mountain. No day on MW is an easy day. But, we a little bit of encouragement of such a beautiful day, we all chose Tuckerman Ravine up and Lion Head down.

The trail was some what quiet in the morning when we first started. We quickly ascended the TRT until we arrived at the Huntington Ravine Junction. Here, I thought would be a good place to stop and take a quick break.
We shortly continued on. No matter how many times you hike the same trail, you never hike the same journey. You suddenly notice things you never noticed before, or find things you weren't expecting to find. On this journey I found myself guided 2 friends. Introducing my world into someone else. I found myself explaining knowledge and facts about the mountain that they had no idea about. 

About half way up we finally arrived at the Hermit Lake Cabin. Here we stopped to take some photos and took another bite to eat before heading into the ravine. Where the real journey began.

Trees were already starting to turn. The wind was blowing as soon as we hit the Cabin. It was a little chilly. However, I knew putting on another layer would do no good because I would have to take it off within minutes of starting into the floor of the ravine and up the head wall.

As we quickly gained elevations I could hear the words "OH MY GOD" come from Kate's mouth. She was amazed at the first views she had seen heading up. I am pretty sure, these are the majority of any beginner hiker on their first big journey. I sure do know they were mine. Even to this day almost 3 years later, I am still in AWE every time I see a view I've never seen before. There is something about feeling like you are on top of the world and you just kicked butt to get there that makes that view, well worth it.

We finally hit the floor of the ravine and started our ascent up the head wall. We took a few photos, with the beautiful waterfall pouring down beside us.


 With great enthusiasm, Kate and Ray pushed themselves up the flight of stairs that the trail is up the head wall. Making great time. We finally came to the top of the junction where the wind was fierce and howling. A whopping 25MPH! Here we layered up and headed up the summit cone. In which, I still think is the most difficult part of the entire hike. With about a half of a mile left, we pushed ourselves to the point of no return. There it was, the infamous parking lot, in which you have you first view of MW summit. How unexciting.

However, even with all of the ridiculous amounts of tourists and the bicycle climb it was an adventure worth taking advantage of. We all (myself included) stood in line for about 10 minutes to have our photos taken. Yes, I had mine taken as well because my tenth ascent will go down with the rest of the many more I am sure I will have follow.



We quickly finished up at 6288, and went into the building. I gave them a tour of my home/work, every other week. We sat in the living quarters and ate our lunch in peace and quiet away from the craziness of everything. They both were starting to suddenly feel the effects of MW. Their legs stiffening up, they debated on taking the Hiker Shuttle down. In the right frame of mind, made the decision to hike back down. I think that was the right one.

You will never understand the full complete aspect of a day on trail until it is met in full. No hike is done when you've reached the top, it is finished when you've reached the parking lot. They did what most every hiker does, we mentally tell ourselves, this is what I have to do in order to achieve this goal. 

We then deiced to hike down Lion Head. With some more great views and perspectives for them to see, they were both happy they made the decision to hike down.

 After a couple hours we finally made it back to PNVC. We were all very glad to be down. MW is always a long day in the mountains and always strenuous. However, it's not the mountain we conquer but ourselves. 

All in all, I would like to congratulate Kate and Ray for their hard work and dedication. They sucked it up and stuck it out even when they really could have taken the easy "road" out. They had a truly great experience on a beautiful mountain today. Accomplishing a goal they both set out to do. They came prepared and asked the questions necessary for a great day out on the trail. Their determination is one of a hiker. Good luck on any more hikes you may take on in the future and I hope the two of you continue to enjoy yourselves in the Mountains!

Hike Safe & Keep on Trekking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent