The Lost & Unknown Cabot Mountain

As I looked at my map and all the peaks I have left to bag, I couldn't for the life of my figure out where Cabot and Waumbek were. Oh! There it was. Just a little north in the Plinny Range. Gladly enough I asked my friend Nate about it, because I noticed it was near the town he grew up in. He was more than happy to tell me all about it and offered to tag along for this bag.

We planned for Friday. We set off and reached the trail head around 8:00am. Forgetting his candy bars & the beer we like to enjoy in the cooler after we are done while tailgating in the parking lot, we finally arrived. A chill morning it was. We both had long sleeves to start. While I waited for him to put his boots on, I quickly took some of my usual photos.


We started out ascent at the Unknown Pond Trail head. Headed into the woods it quickly became noticeable not many trek through this trail. The trail was incredibly overgrown. Needless to say we both were enjoying it. I am so accustomed to hiking on such well maintained trails that this actually felt like hiking through the woods of my back yard growing up as a kid.
After a steady incline for the first part of our trek to the Unknown Pond we finally came to a bit of clearing on the trail which then opened up to a trail which lead to all the campsites. Which were all pretty awesome Roughly about half a dozen of them if anyone is at all interested in camping here. Also, a toilet is available.

Following the tent site we headed to the pond to stop for a quick snack and refuel our bodies, which were already tired from our 45 bicycle ride the day before,

With the view of the Horn in front of us, we packed up our stuff and hit the trail to our next destination. After about a mile we came to the junction for the Horn. .3 miles up to the best views and lunch spot on the entire hike. If you plan on hiking Cabot, make sure to this the Horn. After a short climb and a small rock scramble to the top, we were alone and taking in the heat of the sun with some snacks.


It was one of the most quiet resting places on a summit I had ever been. It was much enjoyed. We soaked up the sun for a few more minutes before checking the map and seeing how much further until Cabot. Nate was happy. He came along mostly for the Horn where as me, I was getting anxious to knock another peak off my list. Knowing Cabot had no view I was excited to get it done. We down and off we went to the next peak. The Buldge. The Horn & Bulge are on NH 100 Highest, so I had Nate take a photo of me here as well. Well, I mean JUST INCASE I decide when I'm done, that this list will be next. Shortly after that we kept on moving. The trail became a bit more steep as we came to the start of Cabot. Climbing quickly and steadily we finally reached #36 on my list.
& Just like that, it was in the bag! So happy to finally have reached the top. I was starting to get tired and was thankful it was all downhill from here. With a couple more stops along the way. The Cabot Cabin was next.
The cutest cabin ever! I was in awe by this small quaint little place. Inside there were some bunks and a sink and a table to eat at. After looking around for a minute Nate found the log book. Of course I just had to sign it. Sat down for another small bite and drink & then quickly set off into the woods again for our descent.
Just a few yards down trail from the Cabin I spotted something in the woods. It was the old wood stove they had removed from the cabin. Not that littering is good but this made for a perfect photo! It looked like it had been there for many years.

We continued our trek out on the Kilkenny to the Bunnel Trail. In passing we had passed a friend I knew from the 4k FB group, Jess. She had mentioned her way up was hell in high grass and snakes everywhere. I quickly thought it couldn't be any worse than what we encountered on the way up. About the last 2 miles was literally HELL IN HIGH GRASS. The trail had been over grown and pretty much taller than the both of us. Looking forward to seeing snakes, I did not run into one. I was sorely disappointed. Well, we bush whacked our way in and our way out. The hike finally came to an end & we quickly set off back south for showers and good food!

No day is a bad day in the woods. No matter how tired you are, there is always something to be seen, learned or earned while you are on trail. This is one I will never forget!

Hike Safe & Keep on Trekking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent