Franconia Ridge Quick Solo Traverse

"It's important to remember each foot-strike carries you forward, not backward. And every time you put on your hiking boots you are different in some way that you were the day before."



My original plans for a Bonds Traverse fell through when my partner got called into work. Last minute I had to ask around to see if anyone was around and wanted to hit the trails with me. It failed.

I took my time getting out of bed this morning with the thought of hiking by myself so that meant at my own pace. As I sipped on my morning coffee I stared at the map contemplating where to go and what to do now? I do enjoy solo hiking, but not really on new trails. I wanted something kind of long and familiar.

After going back and forth between the Great Gulf and Franconia Ridge, I picked Franconia Ridge. This is the one loop I don't even have to think about while on trail. As a solo female hiker I do tend to think about my safety a lot before I head out. I enjoy this loop because it is very popular and I always see others in passing, there is the hut just incase weather turns bad quickly, and then it's very well marked and very obvious above tree-line.


As I pulled into the parking lot just before 9:00am I had noticed a friend Whitney was on Flume just an hour before and attempting a Pemi Loop in a day. I knew it was a very small chance I could get up to Lafayette in time to high five her as we passed, but I tried anyways.

9:00am I was on trail. I headed up Old Bridle Path toward the hut and Mount Lafayette. I started to move and was enjoying the trail with no snow on it. Since the last time up here was in full winter conditions. I was moving quickly, trail wasn't too wet or muddy.


(Note: The photo above is a pano of the area that I am familiar with in the winter as many of you also might be. In the winter when there is snow on the ground, some people hike to the left instead of following to the right. Granted the snow is covering all of the vegetation come winter, take a look at the damage it causes by stomping over it even in snow.)

I eventually came upon 2 gentlemen who were curious about the hut being open. We chatted for a few and then I kept moving. I was on a mission and hauling ass! Not to mention it was 45 degrees and I was in a skort.



By the time I hit Agony Ridge and had my first viewpoint, I saw nothing but trees below and clouds above. I had checked the weather before leaving and had a good feeling that I would make it up to the summit and witness a beautiful undercast! I eventually came upon Greenleaf Hut. Exactly 1 hour and 20 minutes from the car it took me. Holy cow! I was moving. I don't normally stop in to a hut unless I need something, but I figured I would pop in and see if they had a registration book.


I chatted for a few minutes with the care-taker while I signed my name and grabbed a handful of food, suited up and hit the trail again. It took me exactly 32 minutes to summit Lafayette from there. 1.1 miles from the Hut to the summit. It got very windy, and very cold. I continued onward and upward to keep warm. Almost at the summit I spotted a tree covered in Rime Ice.... YIKES! Winter is still here.


WOOOHOOO! I made it. Is it just me or does everyone always get a feeling like they just want to scream at the top of their lungs "I did it!!!!"?  I guess maybe it's just me when I am by myself. I always just feel so accomplished. This time, for the sake of making it to the summit which was over 4 miles in 2 hours. As I took my selfie at the summit sign, I hear a woman say hello.



She was the only one up there with her dog taking photos. We chatted for a few minutes and then I continued down off the summit and pulled out a snack to eat on the ridge walk across. Her dog followed as did she. We would then continue to pass each other for a little while and hike together for a bit.



Eventually, I came upon the summit of Little Haystack. The wind not as noticeable for a moment, and the clouds had cleared, and the sun was now warming the day up. I sat down here and ate a couple bites of snacks and soaked in the warmth of the sun before heading down. Once done up there, it was time to start my 3.5 mile decent back to the car.


Falling Waters Trail is steep. Basically a rock staircase. This is why I avoid going up this trail. I'd rather kill my knees going down than give myself a heart attack coming up. The trail was quite slick in some spots, and a trail of running water in others. I moved as quickly and swiftly as I could. Passing many who were working their way up as I was coming down.




For the last couple miles I had lost all other hikers and was alone for quite some time. I hit the few water crossings that required me to get my boots wet. The waterfalls were in full force from the 4 days of heavy rain we had gotten in the previous days. Such a beautiful sight to see. Overall, it wasn't the day I had planned for but it ended up being a spectacular one as always!





Hike Safe & Keep on Trekking...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huntington Ravine; DUN DUN DUN!

48th & Final Summit; Mount Carrigain

Mount Lafayette Extreme Winter Ascent